Program Manager, Funding Opportunities (7398U) 20915
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 28, 2021
Within the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, the Berkeley Research Development Office (BRDO) works with faculty and research units across campus to help increase research funding while decreasing faculty burden in applying for it. BRDO frequently supports complex, large-scale, and strategic proposals for federal funding, but we also support other types of proposals for other funders. BRDO comprises a dynamic and collaborative team of experienced research development professionals, who apply a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences to support and expand UC Berkeley's incredible portfolio of research activities and infrastructure.
This position identifies funding opportunities and manages the limited submissions process for the Vice Chancellor of Research and the UC Berkeley campus. Limited submissions are funding opportunities that restrict the number of applications an institution may submit. As these opportunities are often strategic and competitive in nature, it is imperative for campus to maintain an effective, efficient, confidential, and fair process to facilitate selection of applicants through review by faculty peers and other experts. This process also provides feedback to internal applicants to help improve their future applications. In these ways, this position helps the campus advance the most competitive concepts for submission and strengthens other concepts in development for future opportunities.
- Monitors funding opportunities and identifies limited submissions opportunities.
- Manages internal peer reviews:
- Works with the Director for Research Development to define an appropriate review process and timing for a given opportunity.
- Manages the internal application process, including preparing and sending announcements, tracking the status of applications, and preparing them for review.
- Works with the Director to manage the review process, including assembling expert review panels, preparing materials for reviewers, facilitating review meetings, and writing up the panel recommendations and feedback.
- Finalizes selections with the Vice Chancellor for Research; notifies applicants and campus stakeholders.
- Maintains systems to monitor and document competitions and outcomes, as well as observations for future reviews. On an ongoing basis, assesses the quality, efficiency, and integrity of the process, seeking continual improvement and innovation.
- Interacts with faculty, deans, and administrative staff to acquire needed background information, clarify policies and processes, and respond to questions.
- Coordinates with other campus offices, including Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, the Chancellor's Immediate Office, the Sponsored Projects Office, Campus Shared Services, Foundation Relations, as appropriate.
- Communicates with funding agencies and organizations to clarify limits and related policies as necessary.
- Monitors and analyzes changes in external regulations, legislation, and UC policies for impact on the Campus.
- Develops training material and provide informational sessions on limited submission and funding opportunities. Researches best practices in field.
- Creates and maintains relevant and useful information on the BRDO web page.
- Assists with other activities of the Berkeley Research Development Office and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research.
- Analytical/problem-solving skills. Strong skills in analyzing and synthesizing large amounts of data.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and diplomatically, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills, with good attention to detail and a focus on quality.
- Ability to multi-task within demanding timeframes.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Independent self-starter who also thrives in a collaborative environment.
- A focus on customer service, in support of the faculty and the institution.
- Some knowledge of research funders and/or funding opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree or higher, plus at least two year's relevant experience in fields such as research development, proposal development, and research administration and/or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with the academic research environment and the UC Berkeley campus specifically, and/or equivalent knowledge.
- Knowledge of, or can quickly learn, common campus-specific and other computer application programs.
- Advanced knowledge of research funding opportunities and limited submissions.
- Familiarity with aspects of proposal preparation.
Salary & Benefits
This is a monthly paid (exempt) role. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20915&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency