Infection Preventionist, Ryan Hospital
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Infection Preventionist, Ryan HospitalJob Profile Title
Manager CJob Description Summary
The Infection Preventionist (IP) position will improve and advance the implementation of infection control policies, procedures and practices in the Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine (Ryan Hospital). The IP will participate in the investigation, surveillance, control, and prevention of healthcare associated infections in Ryan Hospital's patients and employees. They will have the responsibility to educate all levels of clinical personnel and other health care workers at Ryan Hospital regarding best infection control practices.Job DescriptionAdministrative Duties:
The IP will serve as a member of the Ryan Hospital Infectious Disease Committee. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
Infection Control Program Oversight and Education:
- Develop and be responsible for evidence-based/informed infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- Regularly review the Ryan Hospital Infection Control Manual and policies - update standard operating procedures as needed
- Coordinate routine hospital inspections and audits - share results with hospital leadership and other appropriate parties
- Assist the Chairman of the Infectious Disease Committee (IDC) during IDC meetings, produce all IDC reports, record the minutes and assist with taking IDC reports to hospital leadership
The IP will identify and implement infection prevention and control training for hospital staff, students, and volunteers:
Surveillance Program Oversight:
- Lead the integration of infection prevention activities within and across departments
- Assist in developing staff competencies related to infection control and prevention
- Create new hire and annual infection prevention training for all staff. Educate and provide training and in-services for all staff and students, as appropriate to workplace responsibilities, regarding infection control and prevention strategies and guidelines.
- Serve as a resource for hospital clinicians, nurses, and students on matters of infection control, including assistance, advice and supervision regarding logistical management/ isolation requirements of hospitalized patients with contagious infectious diseases
- Collaborate with University of Pennsylvania Occupational Health regarding identification of hospital staff exposed to contagious pathogens and facilitate their medical evaluation or counselling by Occupational Health at Penn Medicine
- Collaborate with the Philadelphia Department of Public Health and/or the Pennsylvania Department of Health as needed for reporting purposes
The IP will work independently (under general supervision) to:
- Coordinate and supervise infection control surveillance practices
- Perform an annual facility risk assessment
- Collect environmental samples throughout hospital patient care areas based on established protocols - maintain a database of culture results
- Perform routine audits to assess compliance with infectious disease prevention and control practices
- Perform audits of sterilized equipment/disinfected scopes and evaluate any potential need for reprocessing and/or re-education of staff
- Audit facility cleanliness and appropriate disinfection techniques - provide feedback to Penn Vet Facilities and Environmental Services
- Oversee proper handling and disposal of infectious material in the hospital in collaboration with Penn Vet Facilities
- The IP will assist with research projects related to infection control and prevention.
Other duties as assigned including:
- The IP will disseminate results of investigations through reports and presentations.
- The IP will routinely communicate with other Penn Vet departments, referring veterinarian offices, and other institutions or agencies regarding matters of infection control, as needed.
- The incumbent will also initiate outreach/engagement activities to raise infection control awareness within Ryan Hospital and the veterinary community.
- Participate in APIC, PDPH, PADOH, CDC, and other public health partner organization meetings, seminars, and continuing education.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Microbiology, or a related healthcare field, or, Master's in Public Health with a focus on healthcare-associated infections and 3-5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Experience in infection prevention and control is required
- Certification in Infection Control (CIC) is preferred upon hire and required within first 2 years of accepting the position
Job Location - City, State
- Strong analytical and investigational skills
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills - must be detail-orientated
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with many levels throughout the hospital
- Ability to function independently with productive time management skills, as well as work cooperatively with a team
- Proficiency in Excel, Word and Outlook is required
- A cover letter is required
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
School of Veterinary MedicinePay Range
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Ryan-Veterinary-Hospital/Infection-Preventionist--Ryan-Hospital_JR00030709
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency