Executive Director of Licensing, Physical Sciences and Engineering
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Executive Director of Licensing, Physical Sciences and EngineeringJob Profile Title
Director FJob Description Summary
Reporting to the Deputy Managing Director of the Penn Center for Innovation, the Executive Director of Licensing, Physical Sciences and Engineering will lead a team of professionals responsible for supporting the innovation efforts and commercial partnership interests of faculty and researchers across numerous Penn schools, including the School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of Arts and Sciences, Stuart Weitzman School of Design and the Wharton School. In addition, the Executive Director of Licensing, Physical Sciences and Engineering will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies for enhancing PCI support of commercialization and industry engagement in all non-life sciences areas, including engineering, physical sciences, social sciences, business and computer sciences. The position will be responsible for leading the PCI Physical Sciences Licensing team in identifying, facilitating and executing on opportunities for broader engagement with the commercial sector to advance the commercial interests of the faculty and each school's research enterprise as well as further supporting the developmental translation of innovative technologies and areas of expertise created at Penn. The successful candidate will provide, and lead the team in providing, outstanding customer service to the faculty and will serve as an effective point of connection with the private sector. Key duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to,
(a) working collaboratively with investigators across the applicable schools to identify research programs and intellectual property assets with commercial potential and potential interest to the private sector;
(b) working collaboratively with other members of the business development groups at PCI, and particularly the PCI Corporate Outreach team, to identify and facilitate the establishment of research collaborations with industry;
(c) developing, structuring and negotiating the business terms associated with such research collaborations and coordinating with, and supporting, the Corporate Contracts team in implementing associated agreements in an efficient manner;
(d) leading or supporting, as applicable, the negotiation of agreements managed by the PCI Physical Sciences Licensing team related to licensing or optioning Penn intellectual property rights;
(e) encouraging and increasing start-up company formation by identifying suitable Penn assets and providing as-needed guidance and support to faculty (in conjunction with the PCI Ventures team, as applicable);
(f) conceptualizing and coordinating the strategic application of PCI and school resources to achieve these targets, including the creation of innovative business arrangements and collaborations in partnership with other business development teams at PCI and Penn;
(g) supervising, mentoring and actively managing the team's business development professionals across all of the preceding activities; and;
(h) coordinating and communicating closely and regularly with designated representatives of the various Dean's offices to ensure alignment of PCI's activities with each school's short- and long-term strategic objectives.Job Description
The Executive Director of Licensing, Physical Sciences and Engineering will:
- Work in conjunction with the PCI Leadership Team and the leadership of the relevant schools, as applicable, to develop and implement strategies for enhancing PCI support of commercialization and industry engagement in all non-life sciences areas, including engineering, physical sciences, social sciences, business, and computer sciences. More specifically, such strategies will increase Physical Sciences licensing and related business development support and engagement of faculty, staff, post-docs and students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of Arts and Sciences, Stuart Weitzman School of Design and the Wharton School with the commercial sector. Lead or support, as applicable, regular communication and coordination with the applicable Dean's offices to ensure close alignment of PCI's ongoing activities with each school's short- and long-term strategic objectives.
- Continue to foster and develop new relationships with faculty innovators, researchers and entrepreneurs in the assigned schools, and in all non-life science areas at Penn. Work to identify research programs and intellectual property assets with commercial potential. Work in coordination with PCI's MCP team to develop and implement strategies for increased interaction between these innovators and PCI in support of enhanced commercialization of Penn technology and expanded industry engagement.
- Work in conjunction with the Physical Sciences License team to evaluate disclosed physical sciences assets based on analyzing their IP and commercial potential. Provide well-articulated and supported recommendations at weekly commercialization meetings regarding (a) intellectual property protection and (b) commercialization strategies. Work collaboratively with the inventors, IP team and outside counsel to develop and execute on appropriate IP strategies. Ensure that process is transparent and there is regular communication with faculty and other stakeholders.
- Utilize personal contacts, and collaboration with the MCP and Corporate Outreach teams to identify prospective licensees, investors, and commercial research collaborators to advance Penn technology and support the research enterprise of each school. Work with faculty to determine optimal path to advance the opportunity, whether through a research partnership, new venture or licensing opportunity, and successfully execute on the chosen path.
- Structure, negotiate and execute on agreements related to the licensing or optioning of Penn intellectual property rights. Develop and structure business terms associated with research collaborations and work collaboratively with Corporate Contracts team to implement the associated agreements in an efficient manner. Act as a concierge with faculty to ensure that they are regularly updated on transactional activities.
- Work in partnership with and other key administrative groups at Penn (e.g. ORS, OGC) across the physical sciences portfolio to (a) review, modify and/or incorporate, as necessary, nonstandard IP related provisions during contract drafting and negotiation, and (b) help resolve both IP and non-IP related issues related to agreements between Penn and the commercial sector.
- Lead and mentor all business development professionals and administrative support members of the Physical Sciences Licensing Team to accomplish the previously described responsibilities. Ensure that each team member's portfolio is appropriately balanced based on skills and experience, and identify opportunities for continued professional development and learning. Work with the Deputy Managing Director to set appropriate goals based on the broader goals of PCI and applicable schools, and support the team in achieving such goals.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- The successful candidate will have an advanced degree (Ph.D. is preferred) in engineering, computer sciences or in the physical sciences.
- Candidates are required to have 10+ year of experience in business development and licensing, supporting start-up company formation and leading the commercialization of early stage engineering, physical science or computer science-related assets (e.g. Data Science, IoT, AI, Big Data).
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in working with emerging technologies in a computer science field.
- Preference will be given to the candidates with both commercial and academic experience in a relevant industry sector.
- Preference will be given to candidates with CLP (Certified Licensing Professional) certification
- Additional skills: Excellent communicator; Significant management experience; Highly organized; Self-Motivated; Customer-Service Oriented; Prior industrial experience a plus
PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER ALONG WITH YOUR RESUME TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS OPPORTUNITYJob Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Provost's CenterPay Range
$126,841.00 - $240,998.00Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3600-Civic-Center-Boulevard---9th-Floor/Executive-Director-of-Licensing--Physical-Sciences-and-Engineering_JR00030334
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency