Simulation Operations Specialist, Penn Nursing
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Simulation Operations Specialist, Penn NursingJob Profile Title
Technician, Audio Visual CJob Description Summary
The Simulation Operations Specialist partners with Simulation Education Specialists and faculty to develop, implement, operate, and participate in simulation activities to guarantee a high quality, safe, and consistent simulation experience in the Helene Fuld Pavilion for Innovative Learning. Assist in the management of the infrastructure to ensure student privacy, operational efficiency, limited downtime, and that learning objectives are met. Troubleshoot and resolve any technical and logistical issues; operate simulation capture system to ensure activities are videotaped. Provide first and second level repairs and preventative maintenance to simulation resources; ensure equipment and supplies are used and maintained properly. Plan, develop and manufacture materials and techniques for executing moulage and task trainers in collaboration with key players to enhance the overall realism of the simulation activity. Maintain current simulation related knowledge, excellent customer service and effective communications.
Work Location Information: In normal conditions this position may seldomly (0-8 hrs/wk or 0-1 days/wk) work remotely. This position is considered essential for delivering the mission of the School and is required to work on campus in critical situationsJob DescriptionResponsibilitiesProvide leadership to the Helene Fuld Pavilion operations team.
In partnership with simulation faculty, advise, plan, implement, participate, operate, and evaluate simulation activities to guarantee high quality and consistent learner experiences in all educational activities in the Helene Fuld Pavilion for Innovative Learning.
- Lead the Fuld Pavilion Operations team in complex simulation activity design, setup and execution.
- Manage the daily team assignments to ensure that simulation activities are setup, fully staffed, run efficiently, and are properly put away.
- Manage a running list (daily, weekly, monthly) of preventative maintenance and upkeep side tasks to be performed in the Helene Fuld Pavilion
- Manage side project time allocation for the Helene Fuld Pavilion operations team.
- Assist the Director of Operations in the management of Temporary, Part Time and Student Workers
- Ensure the daily upkeep of equipment is performed. All equipment should be emptied of fluids, cleaned, and stored properly.
- Act as a point of escalation for Fuld Pavilion Operations staff in regards to simulation design, setup, and execution.
- Provide backup to the Director of Operations.
- Provide backup to the Program coordinator in duties such as supply and equipment purchases, communicating with vendors on order status, inventory control, record keeping, and pavilion scheduling.
Assist in the management of the infrastructure of the Helene Fuld Pavilion to ensure student privacy, operational efficiency, limit downtime, and that activity learning objectives are met.
- Collaborate with faculty on the planning and design of simulation activities to ensure that the exercise's learning objectives are able to be met through simulation.
- Use healthcare simulation knowledge and skills to identify the level of fidelity needed for the activity, and discuss the level of realism possible in the simulation.
- Assist with the creation of the required setup documentation for the simulation activity and ensure that it is properly submitted to the Helene Fuld Pavilion.
- Setup and prepare individual simulation activity areas using gathered supplies, equipment, technology, props and Moulage (art of applying mock injuries for the purpose of training Emergency Response Teams and other medical and military personnel.).
- In partnership with faculty, operate simulators and task trainers as part of the simulation activity.
- Act as a simulation confederate, voice of the patient, or standardized patient as needed in the simulation activity.
- Assist with re-setting the simulation activity between active simulations to maintain quality and consistency between groups of learners.
- Ensure faculty and learners act within established healthcare and Helene Fuld Pavilion safety guidelines while in the simulation activity.
- Assist faculty in simulation debriefing activities as needed.
- Operate the Fuld Pavilion's simulation capture system to ensure that simulation activities are videotaped correctly, completely, and performs as expected to assist faculty in debriefing students on their performance in the activity.
- Troubleshoot any technical or logistical issue(s) that arise immediately prior or during a simulation activity; Formulate and enact a solution to the issue, and effectively communicate it to the simulation faculty.
- Production and management of all operations-level needs to support the current Electronic Health Record system, which may include (but is not limited to) printing and distribution of EHR-generated name bands and medication labels, testing of barcodes, and collaboration with instructors and the system manager for operations-based EHR needs.
Maintain, repair, and perform 1st and 2nd echelon preventative maintenance on simulators, task trainers and healthcare equipment to maintain quality of educational activities.
- Perform a pre- and post-activity check of computers, software, simulators, task trainers, and healthcare equipment to ensure that all features of the device are operating properly. Troubleshoot any non-functioning features, attempt repair, communicate with faculty as necessary and report issues to Helene Fuld Pavilion Leadership.
- Ensure that the Helene Fuld Pavilion's computers and audio visual equipment are in a constant operational state.
- Liaise with the School of Nursing Service Desk for the quick resolution of all network, computer, and software issues in the Fuld Pavilion.
- Maintain software used to operate simulators, task trainers, and virtual simulation activities; assure updates are obtained and uploaded and operate properly
- Troubleshoot any technical issues with Helene Fuld Pavilion and communicate and enact a resolution plan that has the least impact on learning activities.
- Ensure all student data captured in or concerning simulated activities conform to standing privacy and FERPA policies at the School of Nursing and the university.
Plan, develop, and manufacture materials and techniques for executing moulage (wounds, injuries, physical representation of symptoms, environmental props) and task trainers (suture pads, injection pads, customized trainers) to efficiently meet the learning objectives for an activity, level of realism, and pavilion budgetary requirementsActively sustain a safe and clean healthcare environment in the Helene Fuld Pavilion.
- Ensure that simulators are functioning, cleaned with ports/reservoirs emptied, properly maintained and stored after each simulation activity.
- Ensure that proper preventative maintenance takes place to limit downtime and guarantee operational efficiency.
- Evaluate and when necessary, change replaceable parts on simulators, task trainers, and healthcare equipment.
- As directed, liaise with equipment vendors and manufacturers to resolve malfunctioning equipment on behalf of the Helene Fuld Pavilion.
Act as the lead representative on behalf of the Helene Fuld Pavilion to the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) and the Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania (CHOP) in regards to supply purchase, borrowing equipment, best practice inquiry, and medical equipment maintenance assistance.
- Ensure that activities and participants in the Helene Fuld Pavilion are in accordance with current healthcare guidelines and the pavilion policy and procedure manual.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills in all communication on behalf of the Helene Fuld Pavilion.
- Ensure the Helene Fuld Pavilion space and resources are consistently operating in a clean and safe manner.
Develop and provide orientation and training to users of the Helene Fuld Pavilion on the operation and best practices of resources (software, task trainers, simulators, computers, audio visual system, simulation capture system, mobile technology, etc.) that are available for use in simulation activities.Maintain currency in healthcare simulation knowledge and skillset, research, presentation, and execution of existing, new and emerging simulation technologies, healthcare procedures, educational methodologies, moulage techniques, workflows, and trends and their applicability in our environment.Participate in related university and national teams, committees, task forces, special interest groups, and professional organizations. Participation may require attendance at national conferences, meetings and training sessions.
- Log, maintain, and report interactions regarding supply purchase and rental to the Helene Fuld Pavilion program coordinator and/or Director of Operations.
Perform additional duties as assignedQualifications
High School diploma and 5 to 7 years of healthcare simulation experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, are required; Bachelor's Degree preferred with 3-5 years in healthcare simulation experience. Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS) desired. Excellent customer service orientation and strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential. Demonstrated adaptability to support clients with a wide range of experience with simulation concepts, simulation exposure and teaching with technology. Strong organizational skills with effective prioritization and a focus on thoroughness and accuracy of results. Solid troubleshooting skills are crucial with the ability to be independently resourceful in solving issues while adhering to specific guidelines when needed. The successful candidate will possess sound professional judgment using discretion with confidential matters, demonstrate initiative and problem solving strengths and will thrive under the pressure of a fast paced environment with real deadlines in which to finish work within stated timeframes. Must be able to work both independently as well as part of a team. This position will require occasional availability outside the normal work day. Demonstrated experience in using Microsoft Office Products needed. Laerdal Simulators, and B-Line Medical Simulation Capture Systems a plus.
Office, library, computer room; Outdoor exposure to weather; On-Call (beeper)
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 24-50 lb.; Typically standing or walking; Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping; Using tools requiring high dexterity; Typically bending, crouching, stoopingJob Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
School of NursingPay Range
$20.00 - $36.00Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Claire-M-Fagin-Hall/Simulation-Operations-Specialist--Penn-Nursing_JR00030292
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency