The Grace Scholars Advisor provides comprehensive career advising and programming along with academic advising, learning support, and campus and community referrals to upper-class students in the Grace Scholars Program, in collaboration with the Grace Scholars Program Director. The advisor will conduct retention-related research and activities, coordinate academic and professional development workshops, as well as contribute to program assessment and the annual reporting process.
- Serve as advisor to the Grace Scholars Program with a specific focus on juniors and seniors, conducting individual and small-group sessions designed to monitor their educational and career development goals and assist with the resolution of academic and personal challenges.
- Develop individualized personal and professional development plans and maintain updates, academic action, and progress for each Scholar.
- Monitor student progression toward educational/career goals through schedule checks, progress reports, and consistent communication with faculty.
- Maintain an electronic record of student interactions/issues to be shared with Grace Scholar's staff.
- Participate regularly as part of the Student Outreach and Support Team (SOST) which identifies and assesses issues relating to the safety, physical and mental health, and well-being of the campus community.
- Build and maintain external relationships to create professional development and networking opportunities for Scholars
- Create and maintain an interactive environment encouraging mutual trust and open communication.
- Enhance the academic and social engagement of historically underserved students by creating and supporting opportunities for underrepresented students to develop a sense of belonging on campus and opportunities for all students to build community with one another.
- Create curriculum based on the Grace Scholars core competencies and teach the .5 credit section of Grace Scholars Seminar: Leading with Purpose during the fall and spring semesters.
- Assist with re-admittance process for returning Grace Scholars who have taken a leave of absence from the university.
- Collaborate with the Grace Scholars staff to create meaningful engagement within the Grace Scholars Peer Mentoring Program.
- In collaboration with Program Director, oversee the functions of the Grace Scholars Advisory Council.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement social, cultural, and educational programs for Grace Scholars that will enhance and develop their personal, professional, and leadership skills.
- Coordinate events for graduating seniors, and other end-of-year and graduation events.
- Collaborate with Grace Scholars Program Director to plan and implement the Summer Bridge Program for first-year Scholars.
- Collaborate with Alumnae Engagement Office to create sustained partnerships with Grace Alumnae.
- Participate in staff meetings, professional development offerings, and Mount Mary University community-building activities and events.
- Perform other duties, responsibilities, or special projects as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Master's Degree in the area of higher education, counseling, psychology, social work, or related field.
- Experience working in the Milwaukee area or other community organizations with familiarity of the educational, social, and economic issues affecting urban education.
- Familiarity with issues/circumstances that impact the recruitment and retention of traditionally underrepresented students in higher education.
- Experience in academic advising in a higher education setting or related experiences/skills in a higher education setting
- Expertise in student-centered and intrusive advising strategies
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusiveness and cultural competence; experience working with unrepresented students from at-risk backgrounds.
- Experience and understanding of current issues and developments in higher education.
- Experience working effectively with individuals from a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds and ideologies, as well as personal and social orientation in a compassionate, culturally competent manner
- Outstanding verbal, writing, and presentation skills; must be able to communicate and interact effectively with Mount Mary students, employees, and alumnae.
- Exceptional ability to multitask and prioritize projects.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work with diverse groups, facilitate group processes and foster collaborative decision-making.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The first date of consideration is 07/19/2021, and the review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Official transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform primary functions.
- May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must reach, bend, stoop, lift
- Must sit, walk or stand
- Some repetitive motion may be required
- Varying workflow; sometimes stressful with high workload times of the year
- Complete work required within a limited space
- Complete work required within a limited time
Mount Mary University encourages applications from all qualified candidates and is vitally committed to all aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates and all will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ethnicity, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, or any other groups protected by law. Mount Mary seeks to hire and retain personnel who will make a positive contribution to its mission, vision, and values.
For more information about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Mount Mary please visit http://www.mtmary.edu/about/diversity
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.