NEIDL HISTOTECHNICIAN, NEIDL National Emerging Infectious Disease Lab Tracking Code3699 Job Description
This position is located at Boston University's National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory (NEIDL), in Boston, Massachusetts. The supervisor of this position is Hans Gertje, HTL(ASCP)QIHC. Hans oversees the day to day operations in the NCPL and ensures execution of quality histological processes, maintenance of instruments, and progress on academic and industry collaborations.
The mission of the NEIDL is threefold: To perform cutting-edge research on emerging infectious diseases and to develop diagnostic tests, treatments, and vaccines to promote the publics health through combating infectious diseases. To provide training in these areas of research and to support a national response in the event of a biodefense emergency. To establish a research facility with the highest attention to community and laboratory safety and security.
Bachelor's Degree required. Experience in Biology- or Chemistry-related field. Certified at the Histotechnician (HT) level by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists OR equivalent education/experience
The National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is part of a national network of secure facilities that study infectious diseases – whether they occur naturally or are introduced deliberately through bioterrorism. The NEIDL is dedicated to the development of diagnostics, vaccines and therapeutics to combat emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. In addition to Bio Safety Level (BSL)-2 and BSL-3 laboratories, the NEIDL houses BSL-4 laboratories that will operate at the highest level of containment. The NEIDL will add to the growing life sciences industry in the region, throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and across the country.
Individuals seeking affiliation with or employment within the NEIDL may be subject to the following suitability requirements. Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in ineligibility for employment or affiliation:
- Criminal Background Check: To be completed in accordance with BU Public Safety guidelines and all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Basic Background Check: Includes, but is not limited to, verification of:
- Social Security Number;
- Academic credentials;
- Past employment;
- Licenses and credentials;
- Sexual Offender Registry Information (SORI) check;
- Credit history check;
- RMV/DMV driving record, if required.
- Medical Clearance Process: includes Research Occupational Health Program (ROHP) evaluation, drug screening, initial psychological screening, and immunization/titer level review completed in accordance with NEIDL Medical Surveillance Policy for all employees working at the NEIDL.
- Training and Education: to be completed in accordance with Section 8, Ongoing Personnel Reliability Program, for all employees working at the NEIDL.
Individuals seeking or required to have approval to work with Select Agents will be subject to the following additional requirements:
- Department of Justice Criminal Background Check and Fingerprinting: To be completed in accordance with CDC requirements as part of application to have access to Select Agents.
- Select Agent Use Approval: to be completed in accordance with all regulations including the requirements of the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
Please note, any individual working in the NEIDL facility and granted unescorted access, is subject to
- periodic background reviews, including but not limited to: criminal background, credit history, drug screening, and behavioral evaluations;
- periodic checks and regular renewals of security credentials, any applicable licenses, and verification of the successful completion of any required training at the facility
- Search of person, clothing and effects prior to entry into or egress from NEIDL
When applicable, individuals will be required to maintain all applicable clearances and licenses and to disclose any changes in circumstances that could compromise access to the facility.
Continued employment/ affiliation is contingent upon strict adherence, at all times, to all applicable safety and security rules, procedures, and protocols, as well as required training regimens.
For additional information, please contact the Personnel Suitability Specialist at 617-414-4439.
This position is eligible for Boston University's generous benefits package including health, dental, life insurance, tuition remission, paid time off, and so much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular