Anticipated Hiring Range
Commensurate With Experience
Organizational Objective / Goal
To provide leadership for the University’s aspirations to be a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable community while ensuring compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations
General Description of Position
Reporting to the Provost, the Associate Provost will provide leadership, direction and oversight on an array of strategic DEI initiatives, play a key role in the leading UMW’s efforts to meet its commitments under ONEVirginia, and be responsible for building and supervising the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. The Associate Provost will lead the formation and work of the Diversity Equity and Inclusion Council and work collaboratively with multiple units to provide guidance on DEI issues and support alignment with the University’s strategic priorities, including the President’s Cabinet, the Provost’s Academic Affairs Council, faculty leadership, the James Farmer Multicultural Center and others across the University. The Associate Provost will be responsible for oversite and supervision of Disability Resources, Title IX, Hate/Bias and will be expected to provide leadership and support for university-wide education, training, recruitment, and retention initiatives.
Required KSAs / Competencies / Qualifications to successfully perform their work
· Knowledge of and familiarity with Title IX, Title VII, and/or ADA compliance and other applicable federal and state laws, regulations and guidelines.
· Knowledge of best practices in diversity education and on issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, and related areas.
· Capacity to organize the work of the office and manage staff and coordinate with affiliated compliance officers
· Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation communication skills
· Ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, staff, administration, and community partners.
Preferred KSA's / Competencies / Qualifications to successfully perform the work
· Knowledge of and capacity to conduct and communicate about institutional climate surveys and assessments of DEI programs
· Master’s degree in a field relevant to DEI work
· 8 years of progressive administrative experience
· Demonstrated leadership in advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within a complex organization
· Demonstrated experience initiating, implementing, and assessing DEI programs
· Prior supervisory experience
A terminal degree in a related field (which includes candidates with a J.D.)
· Prior experience in higher education
· Experience with strategic planning and the development of DEI plans.
· Prior experience managing policy development and change
· Prior experience managing an office with multiple units in a complex organization
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants: This search is being managed by Ferra Executive Search. For full consideration, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to https://careers.umw.edu/postings/10648 . All candidate inquiries can be directed to Kevin Ferra at [email protected].
Additional Applicant Instructions
The University of Mary Washington accepts only completed online application and related materials. Faxed, mailed, or emailed applications or documentation will not be considered. Employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of criminal background checks. If accommodations are requested either before or at the time of the interview, please contact the Recruitment Office at 540-654-1357.
The University of Mary Washington is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.