VPSA-Dean of StudentsAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities, is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.Posting Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Monday thru Friday 8 am-5 pm. Occasional nights and weekendsAdvertised Salary:
07/14/2021Open until filled:
07/21/2021Proposed Starting Date:
08/02/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens Area EEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Requires are least a high school diploma or equivalent. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Position Summary:
This position provides supervisory work in directing the production of printed materials in a printing services unit located in the Tate Student Center. Supervision is exercised over a small staff of full-time and student assistants engaged in the duplication and binding of printed matter. Work also involves contact with clients of the unit in order to insure the quality of the finished product and the cost/time efficiency for the user and the unit. Considerable independence is exercised in determining procedures and scheduling operations. Work is performed under general supervision of an administrative manager who makes periodic checks on work performed for quality of work and adherence to established policies.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
Considerable knowledge of digital print equipment and finishing/binding practices; ability to train and direct the work of a small staff engaged in printing & finishing services: ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; attention to detail; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions.Physical Demands:
Sitting for long periods of time. Some liftingIs driving a responsibility of this position?:
NoIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
YesDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
Produce print orders according to the parameters and deadlines set in Print Shop Pro. Percentage of time:
• Review production workload in PSP at the beginning of each shift. Clarify details of print orders, as needed, with the Manager, Customer Service Manager, Graphic Design staff, and customers. Set priorities and distribute workload across production staff (based on staff knowledge and strengths) and equipment in order to meet customer deadlines and produce high quality products in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Communicate problems to Manager, as needed.
• Prepare jobs for printing using Fiery Command Work-Station and other software.
• Regularly monitor the quality of job output for correctness and image quality.
• Perform finishing services, as needed.
Produce dissertation orders according to the parameters and deadlines set in Print Shop Pro by the Customer Service Manager. Percentage of time:
• Clarify order details of dissertation orders, as needed, with the Customer Service Manager.
• Monitor quality of job output for correctness and image quality.
• Assess thesis and dissertation printing and binding supplies monthly. Provide Production Manager with list of supplies to be ordered, as needed.
Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the work of one professional staff member. Percentage of time:
• Review staff job description and work standards twice a year. Revise, as needed, to meet changing needs of production area.
• Approve time cards, leave requests, overtime/flextime requests, and maintain personnel records.
• Develop training opportunities for staff to maximize performance.
• Adhere to and demonstrate commitment to upholding the university’s NDAH Policy.
Hire, schedule, train, supervise, and evaluate the work of the student employees working on the Production staff. Percentage of time:
• Approve time cards, document time off, and maintain personnel records.
• Review staff job description annually. Revise, as needed, to meet changing needs of self-serve printing area.
• Develop training opportunities for staff to maximize performance.
• Assign print and finishing duties based on the priorities for the day.
• Spot check assignments for quality and accuracy.
• Oversee the student staff’s use of the printing & finishing equipment.
• Answer process and procedure questions, as needed.
• Engage in a positive manner with the SkillSurvey process, complete the process according to the established timeline, facilitate discussions with students regarding growth opportunities, facilitate an environment of on-the-job learning.
Oversee the production facilities and all printing/finishing equipment within the production area of Print & Copy Services. Percentage of time:
● Maintain a clean and safe environment.
● Maintain knowledge of capabilities and limitations of all printing and finishing equipment.
● Clear jams and add supplies. Troubleshoot other problems, as needed.
● Perform routine color calibrations and maintenance on digital and large format printers.
• Please service calls and work with service technicians to resolve equipment malfunctions in a timely manner.
• Order and maintain an adequate supplies for the leased printers.
• Ensure the closing duties are safely and properly carried out nightly in accordance with the closing procedures.
Coordinate on-campus delivery of printed materials. Percentage of time:
• Coordinate staff in order to provide timely on-campus deliveries.
• Reserve delivery vehicles through the Dean of Students Office, as needed.
• Ensure all production staff members have completed the Dean of Students Driver Training Program.
Provide excellent customer service in communication with customers. Percentage of time:
● Answer the phone in the production area. Answer questions and direct calls, as necessary.
● Respond to emails in the Customer Service Representative’s absence
Inventory paper and supply needs for production area of Print & Copy Services. Percentage of time:
• Assess paper and supply inventory weekly, more often during busy periods.
• Order supplies and/or provide supplies to be ordered to the Director in a timely manner.