Job no: 501933
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 7 - CSUEU - Clerical and Administrative Support Services, Administrative, Probationary, Part Time
Reporting to the Department Chair and receiving work lead direction from the Department Analyst, the Administrative Support Coordinator provides administrative support to the Communication Studies Department. The Administrative Support Coordinator provides support to other administrative support personnel and department students, faculty, and staff. Working independently, under general supervision, the Coordinator performs moderate to complex administrative support duties for the department chair, administrative staff, students and faculty.
- Acts as front-line receptionist, answers phones, greets faculty, staff, students and visitors
- Coordinates, composes, and proofs, mailings and other forms of communication and publicity
- Coordinates and is responsible for the production of department publications including layout, copy editing, and proofreading
- Coordinates and maintains departmental databases
- Assists with coordination of special events and receptions
- Updates and maintains departmental website
- Provides ongoing support to faculty members and chair, prepares and maintains faculty office hours list; prepares and distributes textbook order forms; maintains syllabi files
- Coordinates and provides logistical support for activities such as department and university balloting procedures and distributing agendas and materials
- Responsible for processing faculty evaluations, assists with RTP processes, assists in coordinating faculty recruitment, and assists with course scheduling
- Enters course data on Faculty Workload Spreadsheet
- Solicits feedback from faculty and staff to assist in development of improved services
- Maintains departmental accounts, tracking expenditures and account balances
- Responsible for recording and submitting student grade changes
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to update the department website using appropriate web software
- Ability to use appropriate software in development of event programs, flyers, announcements and department publications
- Ability to work with campus organizations and outside vendors to plan, organize and implement events
- Ability to draft, compose and appropriately format correspondence and standard reports
- Thorough knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management and website management
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Scheduling, Student Administration CFS, FTS, Google Docs and email programs such as Gmail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to effectively write and present own reports to the Chair of the department
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Two years of related office work experience or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Some college
- Administrative experience working in an office with complex and diverse tasks similar to the Department Communication Studies
- Strong customer service skills with experience serving faculty and students
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) PeopleSoft (MYSJSU), CMS/FTS/CFS, web development/management, and email programs such as Gmail and Google Suite
- Experience with purchasing and invoice processing for Operating Fund, trust funds and Foundation accounts
- Experience with course scheduling in PeopleSoft
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $1,640/month - $2,019/month (Part – Time)
Salary Range: $3,064/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: July 13, 2021 through August 1, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Monday - Friday, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: July 13, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled