Federal Work Study - Library Location:
Georgia Gwinnett College Regular/Temporary:
Temporary Full/Part Time:
Part-Time Job ID:
The Access Services Department of the Georgia Gwinnett College Library oversees patron access to materials and information. The department is the front line for assisting and directing patrons to various service areas based upon their needs. Kaufman Library Access Services provides service at the Main Library Desk, a second floor study area, and the A building Den, Information Commons.
- Performs various circulation activities (checking library materials in and out, renewals, etc.)
- Collects payments for fines and fees and fills out transaction slips.
- Assists patrons in locating library materials using Library of Congress classification system.
- Assists patrons in using self-checkout machines, and other library equipment such as; computers, copiers, scanners, and printers.
- Answers incoming phone calls at the GGC Library Circulation Desk.
- Answers walk-up questions from library patrons; directs patrons to other staff/departments as needed.
- Assists with basic Reference Inquiries.
- Sorts and shelves library materials.
- Monitors security gate alarms.
- Assists in maintaining the appearance of the library, keeping it neat and orderly.
- Participates in collection maintenance activities.
- Scans library materials for document delivery and electronic reserves.
- Submits help desk tickets for troubleshooting library equipment.
- Performs related work as required.
Work Hours -
Student Assistants may work up to 25 hours per week (work schedule will be based on library¿s needs and student¿s class schedule) with a minimum of twelve hours per week. Fall and Spring semester library hours: Monday ¿ Thursday 7:45am ¿ 9:00pm Friday 7:45am ¿ 5:00pm Saturday, Sunday Closed. Hours may be extended during the weeks of Finals.
Work shifts may include early mornings, nights, and weekends. Student Assistants do not work holidays, spring break, intersession or when campus is closed for inclement weather or another situation where the campus is closed. Library is open fewer hours during Summer semester. Continued employment of Student Assistants is not guaranteed and is at the discretion of the library based on need.
- Must be currently enrolled in a minimum of 6.0 credit hours at Georgia Gwinnett College in the current semester.
- Must be in good academic standing and maintain good academic standing for the duration of employment.
- Must be in good conduct standing with the Office of Student Integrity and must maintain good conduct for the duration of employment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to serve a diverse college community with courtesy and professionalism.
- Customer service orientation.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Basic knowledge of Windows environment, Microsoft Office, and Web browsers.
- Capacity to learn and perform library procedures.
- Able to assist with basic Reference and Information Commons inquiries.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work productively as a member of a team.
- Must be able to handle confidential information.
- Customer service and/or library experience.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Gwinnett College, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Gwinnett College is an equal employment, equal access, equal educational opportunity, and affirmative action institution. It is the policy and practice of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote, retain, and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, sex/gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, AREA, and Executive Order 11246 ). For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, please contact the Georgia Gwinnett College Human Resources Team at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Payroll and Benefits at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Any individual who feels that they may have been discriminated against, should contact the Office of Diversity & Equity Compliance at [email protected]