Campus Police Sergeant Location:
Georgia Gwinnett College Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
As a sworn Peace Officer and First-Line Police Supervisor, this position creates and maintains a safe and secure environment for community members to engage in pursuit of higher education, visitation of guests, and security of campus properties. This position performs all duties of a sworn police officer while supervising assigned sworn and non-sworn subordinate personnel in performance of a full range of public safety enforcement, security, and campus services. This position is a designated position of trust and is typically a direct report to a Division Lieutenant or Captain.
- Supervising and guiding subordinate staff in the performance of their duties.
- Assisting with shift briefings, training, and performance evaluations.
- Handling personnel issues and investigating allegations of misconduct.
- Educating staff about regulatory changes and new police technology or methods.
- Preparing reports, maintaining logs, and ensuring the upkeep of departmental records.
- Cooperating with legal and law enforcement stakeholders and testifying in court as required.
- Performing the duties of a police officer and assisting with special projects.
- Reviewing police documents and conducting inspections of personnel and equipment.
- Enforcing strict adherence to policies and procedures
- Other duties assigned.
- Four (4) years-experience as a GAPOST certified peace officer in good standing as defined by GAPOST. A current, official GAPOST professional profile and training record must be submitted as part of the application process.
- Applicants certified as a law enforcement officer by an agency other than GAPOST may be considered. Such applicant must submit professional law enforcement certification(s) and a current, official professional profile and training record from certifying state or agency that denotes applicant as being in good standing and the required four (4) years of experience. Applicant's professional profile must be unblemished by prior termination, resignation in lieu of termination, investigation, suspension, probation, unpaid fees or delinquent training requirements. Such applicant must meet qualifications for GAPOST Peace Officer Basic Mandate Academy admission as part of the pre-employment process, and satisfactorily complete GAPOST Peace Officer certification training or GAPOST Equivalency of Training within one (1) year of employment.
- Professional law enforcement certification(s) and current, official professional profile and training record must be submitted as part of the application process, and denote applicant as being in good standing, unblemished by prior termination, resignation in lieu of termination, investigation, suspension, probation, unpaid fees or delinquent training requirements.
- Selected applicants must satisfactorily complete pre-employment criminal history check (no felony convictions, or domestic violence related convictions, or convictions of crimes of moral turpitude, or convictions of serious traffic offenses), background check, physical, drug test, physical agility test (if applicable), polygraph exam, psychological exam and credit history check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted, Georgia Driver's license.
- Currently employed or have been employed in the last 12 months by a GAPOST recognized law enforcement agency.
- Three (3) years of college campus policing experience.
- One (1) year-experience as a First-Line Police Supervisor.
- Associate or higher college degree in criminal justice or related field of study.
- Completion of Georgia POST Peace Officer Professional Training Certificates:
- Advanced Patrol Techniques
- Advanced Traffic Enforcement / Accident Investigation
- Criminal Apprehension of Patrol
- Basic Criminal Investigations
- Interviews and Interrogations Techniques
- Search Warrants and Affidavits
- Search and Seizure for Law Enforcement
- Field Training Officer
- Supervisor Levels 1, 2, & 3
- General Instructor
- Crisis Intervention Team Training
- Completion of Federal Emergency Management Agency Training Certificates:
- Basic Incident Command Levels 100 & 200
- Completion of current year GAPOST mandatory annual training.
- Completion of Clery Act Training Course for Police and Public Safety
- Completion of Advanced CSA Training Course for Police and Public Safety
Conditions of Employment
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Gwinnett College is an equal employment, equal access, equal educational opportunity, and affirmative action institution. It is the policy and practice of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote, retain, and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, sex/gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, AREA, and Executive Order 11246 ). For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, please contact the Georgia Gwinnett College Human Resources Team at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Payroll and Benefits at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Any individual who feels that they may have been discriminated against, should contact the Office of Diversity & Equity Compliance at [email protected]
- Position of Trust + Credit