Financial Aid Advocate Location:
Georgia Gwinnett College Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Customer Service, the Financial Aid Advocate is a member of the Financial Aid Customer Service team and is responsible for advising of financial aid, including eligibility and awarding of federal, state, local, private and institutional aid to students and their families. The Financial Aid Advocate must stay informed of current financial aid policies and regulations in order for proper awarding and disbursement of financial aid. This position is responsible for social media activities for the Department.
- Provides face-to-face and external financial aid counseling to students and parents. Counsels students regarding Satisfactory Academic progress requirements and all aspects related. Meets with students and parents concerning all federal, state and institutional programs
- Accepts and reviews documents submitted
- Responds to and shares responsibility for Call Center tickets, office emails and/or office visits from students and their families
- Assists students with researching additional avenues for funding specifically related to students who owe balances or have extenuating financial circumstances. Makes recommendations for emergency funding to the Scholarship Manager
- Researches and interprets student financial aid program guidelines including but not limited to those in the student aid handbooks and training materials to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and program requirements.
- Participates in preparation and execution of outreach programs and initiatives (on and off campus) offered by the Office of Financial Aid Services, GGC campus partners and/or community partners. Makes recommendations for potential outreach activities and initiatives. Conducts financial aid presentations on and off campus
- Participates in national, regional, and state conferences pertaining to student financial aid programs, practices, and related technology and communicate any information that may be needed by other GGC departments
- Serves on campus committees to increase exposure and footprint of the Office of Financial Aid Services
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4 Year / Bachelor's Degree
- Two years of customer service position.
- Financial aid experience in a higher education environment, with knowledge of rules and regulations as they pertain to Federal Title IV and State funding strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Banner, National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), Central Processing System (CPS)
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) Credentials preferred
- Bilinqual preferred
Conditions of Employment
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Gwinnett College is an equal employment, equal access, equal educational opportunity, and affirmative action institution. It is the policy and practice of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote, retain, and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, sex/gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, AREA, and Executive Order 11246 ). For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, please contact the Georgia Gwinnett College Human Resources Team at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Payroll and Benefits at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Any individual who feels that they may have been discriminated against, should contact the Office of Diversity & Equity Compliance at [email protected]