Tutor - FT (Science) Location:
Georgia Gwinnett College Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
As a member of the Academic Enhancement Center, the full-time science tutor assists students in building academic skills and competency in biology, physics, and/or chemistry. The science tutor engages in student success initiatives, professional development training, and promotional events. The science tutor provides academic support to ensure students develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence needed to become independent learners.
- Facilitates one-on-one and small group tutoring sessions that promotes independent thinking, productivity, and learning
- Engages in AEC student success initiatives, including but not limited to TIC, TAC, and/or TOE
- Establishes and maintains relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administration
- Assists AEC leadership with developing tutor training activities and/or presentations
- Participates in professional development training, including CRLA initiatives
- Collaborates with the GGC community to promote AEC initiatives and to ensure student success
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 4 Year / Bachelor's Degree in STEM-related field or science education
- Must have a grade of B (2.75) or better in coursework related to the subject to be tutored
- Must have ability to work non-standard hours (including evenings and weekends)
- Must be able to build and maintain relationships with a diverse group of people, meet deadlines, and work under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to lead seminars or workshops on a variety of academic topics for their colleagues and students.
- Must have a positive disposition and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Graduate Degree in STEM-related field or science education
- Engages in research in tutoring practices or field of study
- At least one year of prior tutoring or teaching experience
Conditions of Employment
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Gwinnett College is an equal employment, equal access, equal educational opportunity, and affirmative action institution. It is the policy and practice of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote, retain, and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, sex/gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, AREA, and Executive Order 11246 ). For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, please contact the Georgia Gwinnett College Human Resources Team at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Payroll and Benefits at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Any individual who feels that they may have been discriminated against, should contact the Office of Diversity & Equity Compliance at [email protected]