Lab Manager and Animal Care Technician (9617C) - 20788
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 28, 2021
The Williams Eco-Evo-Physiology lab in the Department of Integrative Biology at UC Berkeley is seeking a highly motivated individual to conduct research, maintain animal colonies, and manage the research lab. The lab is home to PhD students, postdocs, and undergraduate/postgrad researchers, and we study how changing environments impact the evolution of metabolism and life history in ectotherms, particularly insects (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cmwilliamslab.com/&source=gmail&ust=1626301012577000&usg=AFQjCNEk_mRBYU3DyK1soZd7acV8jb_9Yw
" href="https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=2371034&targetURL=http://www.cmwilliamslab.com/" target="_blank">http://www.cmwilliamslab.com/). We offer a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diversity in perspectives, backgrounds, and identities; and provide extensive professional and career development opportunities to all members. Opportunities will be available to co-author manuscripts, present at conferences, and apply for further funding.
- Caring for cricket colonies, including supervising undergraduate work study students in colony maintenance.
- Carrying out artificial selection experiments, under supervision of PI. This requires some weekend work, with two days off per week maintained whenever possible by adjusting weekly working schedule.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes data on cricket colony outputs (e.g. total numbers, morph and sex ratios), and outcomes of breeding experiments, writes reports.
- Participates in lab meetings, collaborative meetings, and individual meetings with the PI, contributes to intellectual development of project
- General lab management - purchasing, inventory maintenance, health and safety, student training
- Enthusiasm for science.
- Excellent record keeping skills.
- Basic knowledge of animal ecology and evolution.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team, take direction, and supervise students.
- Good communication skills and ability to accept feedback.
- Open to participating in activities designed to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion in STEM.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or related field and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience in husbandry of insects or other animals.
- Course work in animal ecophysiology or evolutionary biology.
- Ability to read, interpret and synthesize primary scientific literature.
- Coursework or experience in data management and analysis, especially using R.
- Demonstrated science communication skills. Interest in carrying out independent scientific research and participating in professional development.
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion in STEM.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part-time, 30-hours per week, Career position eligible for full UC Benefits.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Research Support Professionals Unit (RX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/rx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20788&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency