HVAC Watch Mechanic (8193C) - 20040
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 28, 2021
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
- Responsible for environmental control of facilities on Campus which includes; temperature of individual rooms and zones, operation and maintenance of pneumatic and electronic control systems.
- First responders to campus emergencies. Primary first responders to OLAC and BSL3 alarms.
- Monitor and adjust chiller systems, air conditioning, refrigeration and steam heating systems to include all equipment pertaining to each system.
- Manage building conditions through the utilization of computerized EMS and other control systems.
- Responsible for providing preventative maintenance and repairs to all existing building systems. These systems include but are not limited to fans, fume hoods, VFD's, humidifiers, cooling towers, PRV's, boilers, heat exchangers, pumps, compressors, vacuum pumps, heating and cooling coils. Air filter and belt replacement as required.
- The ability to lift and maneuver up to 75 pound objects safely and be able to work safely on ladders and in small spaces within the campus environment.
- Coordinate appropriate repairs with other trades at PPCSFacilities Services.
- Work with all other trades to maintain all buildings in a good working order.
B. ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
- Adherence to the scheduling of work through the work management program is required.
- Consult Manager for technical information.
- Support maintenance projects and programmatic work assignments.
- Keep accurate work records and complete paperwork in a neat and timely manner.
- Define and describe materials, tools and/or equipment, work methods and task sequences.
- Serve as liaison with clients, relaying their needs and requirements to the appropriate department or superintendent.
- Obtain materials and equipment as required.
C. SAFETY Adhere to all University and Departmental safety guidelines.
Attend job-related and safety training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Operate and adjust the building environment and control all systems through the use of computerized and manual HVAC controls.
- Operate absorbers and chillers, related auxiliary pumps, control valves and controlling instruments.
- Perform testing and treatment to maintain the condition of the cooling tower water systems.
- Maintain auxiliary pumps, control valves and temperature controls.
- Clean and replace strainer baskets.
- Operate, adjust, troubleshoot and provide PM on steam and hot water boilers and their immediate auxiliaries. This includes valves and their control instruments necessary for normal operation.
- Operate, adjust and provide PM on building heating and ventilation systems. This is inclusive of fans, blowers, heat exchangers, pumps, air compressors, vacuum pumps, heating and cooling coils, air filters, control valves and repair or replacement of their diaphragms up to and including one inch diameter.
- Also operate, adjust and maintain thermostats and all main receiver controls.
- Adjust, troubleshoot and monitor equipment using the EMS where applicable.
- Operate, adjust and provide PM on radiators, convectors, and baseboard heaters.
- Operate, adjust and provide PM for temperature controls, strainers and traps on HHW, DHW and IHW heat exchangers.
- Receive specific training to analyze boiler combustion using the appropriate instrument and refer necessary repairs to another trade if required.
- Installation, repair and adjustment of existing pneumatic controls, related control lines, pneumatic air dampers, damper motors and valve diaphragms up to and including one inch diameter, includes installation of plastic lines.
- Operate, and adjust pressure reducing valves on steam, air and water equipment.
- Operate, adjust and provide PM on controls for stills, water softeners, demineralizers and deionizers.
- Operate, adjust and provide PM on controls for air compressors and vacuum pumps.
- Operate air driers to include temperature adjustment and repair or replacement of moisture traps.
- Provide chemical treatment for HHW and CW, cooling towers and any equipment requiring chemical treatment.
- Knowledge of and ability to conform to PP-CSFacilities Services, University, state, and federal policies and Procedures, including safety policies such as the IIPP, Hazardous Materials Communications Program and Health and Safety Manuals.
- Be able to work with a fitted respirator as required.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and ability to interact in a positive manner with the campus community, including students, building managers, academic personnel, and craft personnel, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to track jobs to completion and prioritize requirements; able to work and support shutdowns and project schedules to minimize interference with others.
- Must be able to read information from equipment manufacturers' manuals, service requests, layout sketches, blueprints, appropriate state and local government codes, trade-specific manuals and practices, and to determine how the fixture or equipment should perform.
- Knowledge of relevant building codes and regulations.
- Ability to communicate clearly over the telephone and two-way radio.
- Ability to execute all job assignments in a timely manner.
- Employee must be available to respond to emergencies, work on-call, weekend on-call, rotating shifts, watch and holidays.
- Adhere to Facilities Services' work rules and Code of Conduct.
- Employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines/instructions.
- Must have completed a five year apprenticeship program or equivalent.
- Employee must possess five years journeyman experience in a comparable position or related experience in a university, hospital or large building complex.
- Education and training in controls can be through documented experience and/or industrial/vocational or an accredited college or university.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is $55.62.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
We are seeking to fill two shifts:
- Swing: (3:00 PM - 11:00 PM)
- Graveyard (11:00 PM - 7:00 AM)
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Skilled Crafts Unit (KB) between the University of California and the Alameda County Building and Construction Trades Council (ACBCTC). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/kb/index.html
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20040&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency