Custodial Supervisor 1 (5187U) 20781
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 28, 2021
Residential and Student Services Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of an Associate Vice Chancellor. RSSP provides and manages student housing, custodial and maintenance services, security/safety, capital and minor capital projects, residential education programs, self-operated dining services, campus ID card as well as early care & education services for students, faculty, and staff. RSSP also conducts a summer conference and year-round catering/events business and manages faculty apartments. RSSP's annual revenue exceeds $160,000,000, with a $100,000,000 operating budget, and the department employs over 2500 career, limited, contract and student employees creating a "culture of care" for students, guests, customers and stakeholders.
- Supervises the daily activities of custodial employees. Organize, schedule, assign and coordinate the daily activities of an Lead Custodian, Senior Custodians, Grounds Custodians and limited custodians. Collaborates daily with other unit custodial supervisor to ensure all customer and unit custodial needs are met.
- Plans, organizes and directs routine custodial operations. Assign, direct and inspect the work of the custodians, including reassignments to accommodate special and temporary situations. Assist with custodial duties to ensure operational service levels are met.
- Trains and supervises the custodial staff to maintain an orderly, safe, and efficient cleaning operation. Orient, train, and assist career and limited custodial staff in understanding procedures and in determining and prioritizing duties
- Requires knowledge in the care and use of power equipment. . Evaluates and makes recommendations for equipment, changes in cleaning methods, and work performance standards to ensure a more effective and efficient cleaning program.
- Enforces safety, hazardous materials and custodial policies and procedures are adhered to. Reports safety hazards and submits work requests for items needing repair. Reports, orally or in writing, conditions requiring a higher level repair capability.
- Enforces biohazardous materials and equipment and clean room policies and procedures. Maintain all chemical inventories for areas assigned, adhere to CAL - OSHA regulations, ensure proper hazardous waste removal, and waste water disposal. Enforces proper handling and mixture of chemicals.
- Maintains proper inventory needs and purchase inventory.
- Responsible for performance management. Implements performance standards and achievable yearly objectives. Periodically review site activities, meeting with staff. Responsible for providing comprehensive training to all assigned employees to include, but not limited to the following: facility orientation, safety/IIPP, job specific procedures and techniques, rules and regulations, standards and professionalism, expectations and levels of competency, quality standards, customer service and organizational values.
- Maintains scheduling within prescribed budgetary guidelines. Plans and schedules staff assignments and cleaning services. Based on workload and available people resources, reassigns staff to make certain that work is accomplished according to schedule ensuring that staff is fully utilized.
- Working knowledge in custodial and housekeeping services.
- Verbal and written communication skills in the English language, active listening, flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management.
- Working knowledge of and ability for decision making, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and perform operations analysis, and quality control analysis.
- Working knowledge and skill in effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other personnel.
- Basic computer applications skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification preferred. Blood born pathogen and sharps disposal training.
Salary & Benefits
This is a monthly paid (exempt) position. Annual rate will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20781&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency