Business Services Admin (4722C), Disabled Students Program 20859
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 28, 2021
The Disabled Students Program (DSP) provides a wide array of legally mandated services to students with disabilities. DSP consists of approximately 36 FTEs - over a dozen of which are specialized limited staff and students represented by many of the campus' bargaining units. The department serves approximately 3600 students and hires over 400 independent contractors and/or volunteers each semester to provide educational support to this population. The unit has an annual operating budget of 4 million in state and permanent funding, while endowments, gifts, and contracts & grants add to that total. The Business Services Admin works in a challenging and complex environment in that DSP's services to students are legally mandated by federal and state law and therefore must be provided even within an environment of budget cuts and diminishing resources.
Financial Accounting and Controls
- Functions as a resource on issues such as researching general ledger discrepancies, escalated vendor service problems, staff concerns, and payments.
- Trains department travelers on UC travel and entertainment policies and procedures, providing them with the appropriate tools to prepare and submit accurate travel and entertainment payment and/or reimbursement requests.
- Tracks invoices, records expenditures in the departmental expenditure database, and maintains documentation for departmental expenditure files, as required.
- Reconciles monthly expenses in the general ledgers and researches and resolves overpayments and errors.
- Prepares Interoffice Charges (IOCs) for approval when needed for campus departments providing services and products on a recharge basis.
- Prepares and processes travel, entertainment and/or reimbursement requests, assigns the correct chartstring, and obtains the necessary approval signatures.
- Researches and resolves problems with accounts payable and invoices sent to Disbursements for payment, and records and updates status for each payment.
- Processes check deposits in the campus Cashier Deposit System (CDS); enter awards in Department Student Aid System (DSAS), SIS Campus Solutions, and records donations in Cal Advancement Data System (CADS).
- Provides financial assistance with accounts payable/receivable and funding entry as required using UCPath, BearBuy, BFS, and/or CalAnswers, and provides monthly expenditure reports and data entry for supervisor and/or managers upon request.
- Initiates transactions in the UCPath (payroll/personnel system) including payroll expense transfers (Direct Retros), position funding, and position requests to be routed to HR/Business Manager for approval.
- Serves as the first point of contact for Berkeley Regional Services regarding day-to-day transactions, and ensures accurate and necessary information is communicated to BRS staff and entered into appropriate campus systems in an accurate and timely manner.
- Serve as a key member of the department's business office whose job is to ensure financial compliance is well maintained and followed by each DSP service unit.
- Under general supervision, provides analytical support for recurring, simple to moderate finance or payroll projects or reports.
Supply Chain Management
- Initiates all requests for goods or services. Investigates and analyzes product specifications and requirements, including supplier selection to meet buyer/unit needs, determines procurement strategy, processing timeline and if any additional information as needed to complete the procurement process. Identifies and investigates sources of supply for unique goods and services, and makes recommendations, if necessary, while conforming to systemwide or campus master agreements.
- Serves as the primary Requisition Creator in the BearBuy (Procure-to-Pay) System for purchase orders and requisitions and routes to HR/Business Manager for approval.
- Provides support and training to staff in the area of BearBuy purchasing, departmental processing procedures, and University requirements.
- Serves as the back-up or primary bluCard holder for the department, recommends purchasing methodologies IAW campus policies, and assists in defining best practices.
- Processes Procurement Card (BluCard) purchases/requests and maintains supporting documentation, as required. Receives and reconciles all procurement card orders and ensures each transaction is verified within 15 days of delivery.
- Keeps abreast of status of purchases in progress: tracks purchase orders, contacts vendors via emails or phone to follow up on orders, plans delivery dates, receives and tracks all deliveries, reports and resolves problems. Informs requesting staff person of order status and delivery.
- Ensures that all purchase requests are handled in a timely manner and that University and departmental policies and procedures are correctly implemented, keeping abreast of all changes to existing policies and procedures and communicating changes to staff as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains resource information on vendors, supplies, equipment, and service providers.
Facilities and Maintenance
- Supports and oversees the purchase, maintenance, inventory and distribution of office equipment, furniture and supplies. Train staff on safe and appropriate use of equipment; ensure working order of copy machines, fax machines, telephones, computing equipment and coordinate with IST and Telephone and Network Services on communications hardware and access for unit; maintain equipment and computer inventory; coordinates service requests, shipments of excess equipment or furniture to salvage, and oversee maintenance and operation of office space, requests for telecommunications and computer procurement orders, and assists with the coordination of all office and storage moves.
- Shares responsibility with the HR/Business manager for the unit's access, safety, key control and inventory, and serves as the primary point of contact for the following key positions:
- Department Safety Coordinator - responsible for documenting and maintaining DSP's Injury & Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) administered by the Office of Environment, Health & Safety.
- Department Equipment Custodian - responsible for maintaining equipment inventory in (BETS) Berkeley Equipment Tracking System and the departments administrative database(s).
- Department Key Controller - responsible for maintaining strict accountability of all metal keys and inventory in locked cabinet and documents in Business Office database.
- Department Computer Workstation Evaluator - responsible for evaluating the department's computer workstations IAW campus workstation design guidelines for all faculty and staff.
Website and Publications
- Ensures the information on the DSP website is accurate, timely, and complete.
- Assists with the design, development, and restructuring of the DSP website to ensure it meets quality-assurance and disability compliance standards.
- Participates in the development and revision of standard operating procedures, applications and forms; makes revisions to DSP web content and publications.
- Serves as the point of contact for any updates to DSP content, handouts, and brochures, and works with section leaders to make revisions, as needed.
- Collects photos for department and maintains in repository for future publications or uploads.
- Uses Adobe creative suite and JAWS to produce accessible documents for publications and web, and adheres to UC Open Berkeley guidelines and protocols.
- Special Events and Projects
- Independently determines, locates, and utilizes resources or contacts for collecting information and expertise.
- Provide assistance in operational coordination and support to the DSP HR/Business Manager on special projects, events, and the development of new or efficient ways to serve and support staff and student functions.
- Provides guidance to supervisors and managers in securing contracts for procuring space, special permits, event planning, coordination and advertisement.
- Makes administrative and logistical arrangements for meetings, conferences, and events involving multiple parties, receiving limited direction. Takes into consideration special room and/or accessibility needs, and coordinates catering and other support services. Sends out invitations as required or requested.
- Handle ad hoc projects such as business process creation, enhancement and documentation or special projects as assigned.
Documentation and Planning
- Participates in audits of internal records and processes and prepares recommendations for changes as needed.
- Gathers and analyzes financial and other resource data; prepares reports or analyses of operational activities, participates in the evaluation of current and proposed services.
- Documents procedures for financial activities and maintains files for audit purposes.
- Act as primary contact for a broad range of issues, requests, problems, and deadlines related to monthly reporting, recharge activity, financial discrepancies, and customer relations.
- Maintains accounting and procurement files in an organized and professional manner.
- Seeks information to maintain current knowledge on compliance regulations in all areas of finance, administration, and other job related processes.
- Attend campus seminars to expand knowledge, grow professionally, and learn about best practices across campus.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact in a positive manner with campus community, including staff, students, academic personnel, management, and the general public in a multicultural, fast paced, student focused environment.
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent attention to details, high level of accuracy, and good math and accounting aptitude.
- Ability to keep sensitive information confidential and exercise political acumen.
- Ability to research and interpret various policies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze problems, determine and locate sources for obtaining information, offer recommendations, and follow through to final resolve.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet conflicting deadlines; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and produce timely and accurate results.
- Ability to work independently with only general guidance from supervisor.
- Advanced computer knowledge, proficiency, and skills. Must function effectively in both a Mac and PC environment and have ability to use multi-user database management programs as well as other campus database systems.
- Must be skilled in software for database management, extremely proficient in the use of Excel, Google sheets and creating spreadsheets, and demonstrate mastery of the Microsoft suite including Word, Outlook.
- Familiarity with Adobe CC including Acrobat Pro, Publisher, and turnkey web platforms such as WordPress or Drupal.
- Design and creative experience using Photoshop and InDesign.
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn quickly UC policies and procedures, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), fund accounting, and payroll/personnel administration.
- Knowledge of the legal framework involving accommodations for students with disabilities through state and federal laws and regulations.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid appointment. Hourly pay is commensurate with experience within the range of $25.65 - $30.07 per hour.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20859&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency