Senior Custodian - Limited (5116C), Cal Dining 20852
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
At Cal Dining, we believe that “breaking bread together” is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
- Appropriately disposes trash, compost, recyclables and other garbage from all dining service areas, cleans containers, trash collection areas and loading dock. Hoses out garbage rooms in units that have garbage rooms as needed.
- Sweeps, strips, mops, buffs, waxes and vacuums floors in laundry room, kitchen, dish room, serving line, offices, bathrooms, storerooms and docks.
- Cleans and maintains supplies in all dining service bathrooms.
- Cleans walls, baseboards, mats, drains and vents in kitchen and serving line.
- Cleans glass windows and doors. Cleans entryways and service lines. Spot cleans carpets.
- Washes pots, pans and utensils; puts clean items away. Washes steam jacketed kettles.
- Operates and maintains pot washing machine, floor scrubber, buffer, water vacuum, vacuum cleaner, steam jacketed kettles, dish machine, portable steam cleaner, mops and brooms
- Cleans equipment: refrigerators, dish machine, trayveyor, kettles and pots.
- Works and directs staff in dish room and pot-washing areas.
- Power washes carts, docks, trayveyor and dish room.
- Assists in cleaning all food service equipment on a regular basis.
- Safely uses cleaning chemicals.
Provide customer service before and during meal periods to ensure availability to meet customer demand, including the following:
- Maintains service and dining areas during meals periods.
- Cleans up spills, keeps floors clear of debris, removes trash.
- Maintains supplies of milk, soda syrup, CO2 and ice.
- Responsible for table and chair set up in dining rooms.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers. Listen, and if possible resolves customers' needs and reports them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- Completes daily, weekly and special projects.
- Assists in maintaining supplies and equipment.
- Assists in identifying and solving cleaning and safety problems.
- Puts away deliveries.
- Breaks down cardboard boxes as needed.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Experience maintaining cleanliness and sanitation in a high volume kitchen/dining area.
- Custodial cleaning operation experience, including experience in use of custodial equipment such as buffers and floor machines, power washers, blowers, and vacuum cleaners.
- Knowledge of chemicals used in cleaning.
- Knowledge of sanitation procedures.
- Knowledge of healthy and safe work practices, personal protective equipment (PPEs), and MSDS sheets.
- Experience following directions related to job responsibilities and sanitation requirements.
- Excellent customer service skills, which include ability to take customer requests in customer-friendly manner and follow through.
- Must have basic English skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) and math skills related to the safe and efficient performance of the job.
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation.
- Basic skill to evaluate, trouble-shoot inquiries, establish priorities, follow plans and complete goals/objectives.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid position. Hourly pay is $17.82.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 100% limited appointment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20852&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency