School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Occupational Summary (Research Tech II-Koeberl lab)
Train, coordinate and participate in a variety of routine and complex technical procedures and activities related to the care and study of various animals.
- Participate in monitoring and organizing breeding of animal colonies, as well as intensive neonatal care.
- Perform disease specific assays in the laboratory as needed to support projects
- Work as part of a team to ensure all needed care of animal s and research activitiesare completed in a timely fashion.
- Ensure detailed records and input of data into collection database on a routine basis.
- Assist in diagnostic laboratory procedures, performing routine tests.
- Administer daily treatments and medications for animals as instructed or required. Will require occasional late night, early morning, overnight, and/or weekend care.
- Assist in the organization and scheduling of procedures to facilitate projects;coordinate and participate in the performance of routine and standardized tests.
- Perform technical skills such as venipuncture, surgical assistance, animal restraint, radiology, injections, behavior testing and formulate and administer special diets as requested.
- Anesthetize animals as required and serve as circulating nurse during procedures requiring anesthetized animals; assist in animal surgery as requested.
- Must demonstrate the ability to safely handle and restrain animals.
< p>Participating in developingand maintaining an appropriate and varied enrichment plan for animals.
Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.