School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting laboratory tests, experiments and determinations in support of DukeUniversity research operations.
- Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting physical, chemical, biological and other research laboratory tests, experiments and determinations to obtain data for research purposes; compile, analyze, document and draw tentative conclusions from experimntal result.
- Confer with principal investigator to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular equipment as required.
- Review laboratory methods manual, scientific journals,abstracts and other literature for information applicable to research experiments.
- Determine and set up instruments, material and apparatus and operate laboratory equipment required for specific tests.
- Obtain, prepare, mount and stain tissue, blood and other substances for microscopic examination.
- Prepare culture media, chemicals, reagents and solutions.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Review work of lower level laboratory personnel within designated areas and assist in training new personnel.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and l evel of workbeing performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.