School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Support the analytical, data and information needs for assigned teams. Collaborate with assigned teams to understand their data and information needs; provide consultation support on available tools, design options, data elements, and reports. Design and implement reports and other analytical solutions to meet project objectives when solution does not already exist.
- Meet and collaborate with assigned teams to understand the Electronic Health Record (EHR) data, information, and analytic needs of data requests.
- Gather requirements for data needs in collaboration with customers and translate requirements into data analytics solutions. Provide data and analytic support for grants and other funding initiatives.
- Determine and implement the optimal way to collect, store, retrieve and analyze data for assigned teams.
- Be an expert resource on analytical assets available for assigned teams and colleagues.
- Closely collaborate with stakeholders to understand their data, data workflows, operational workflows, information and analytical needs.
- Write the code and technical documentation for analytical data tools.
- Understand the data, information and analytic requirements for Electronic Health Record [EHR] requests.
- Perform quality assurance testing and validation with customers to ensure completeness and accuracy of data prior to migration into the production environment. Assess results and enact solutions to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure deliverables conform to the established departmental standards; specifically change management processes, reporting naming conventions, and maintenance of the enterprise-reporting library.
- Use all available tools to develop solutions to meet stakeholders’ data needs.
- Understand and follow all established guidelines for data development, migration and maintenance for relevant data environments.
- Accurately apply data domain knowledge in the design and build of reporting, information, and analytic solutions.
- Select, manipulate, integrate and analyze data from multiple sources.
- Input required data elements for projects as needed.
- Project manage multiple research studies at the same time, including but not limited to estimating and maintaining timelines for deliverables, collating and entering data, navigating logistics and systems to create deliverables, documenting methods and processes, and communicating effectively with study teams.
- Assist with project startups with expert input on the operational workflows, data generated, data fields, and the relationship of the data to and across all databases.
- Understand the project purpose and desired outcomes. Gather the data requirements and translate into analytical solutions. Write up data deliverables for the project.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional stakeholders across multiple groups as appropriate to ensure projects meet deadlines. Attend meetings as required. Communicate updates to stakeholders regularly.
- Serve as a point of contact and central resource for stakeholders.
- Clearly convey, orally and written, technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Communicate concerns clearly in a professional manner.
- Refer complex questions and escalate issues to others as appropriate.
- Respond timely to emails, phone calls and questions, generally within one to two business days. Update stakeholders regularly on the status of work requests.
- Be proactive and actively participate in team meetings, committees, task forces and ad hoc groups.
- Learn, master, and stay up-to-date on data tools. Understand the strengths, limitations and best uses for each tool. Tools include Clarity, Caboodle, Reporting Workbench, Radar Dashboards, Registries and Universes, Business Objects Crystal, WEBi, Tableau, and SQL.Learn, master, and stay up-to-date in relevant databases and programming languages.
- Understand the strengths, limitations and best uses of each.
- Assist with training others as needed on skills necessary for research study teams, e.g. data entry and quality control.
Other work as assigned.
- Solid and effective written, interpersonal, oral and presentation skills
- Attentive to detail and organized
- Self-starter and self-motivated
- Able to effectively work on a team
- Ability to learn and apply new technical skills consistently and quickly
- Ability to follow instructions and ask questions when unsure
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Experience with Epic, Clarity, Caboodle, and Tableau. SQL programming skills. Project management experience. Healthcare, clinical experience or life science background.
Qualifications Required At This Level
Bachelor degree or equivalent relevant experience.
3 years of experience in data base management or data analysis. Degrees can substitute for experience.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.