PG191064EPInternal Recruitment :
Business Intelligence AnalystAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience.Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; evening and weekend hours as needed.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
PCOM - Dean's OfficeAbout the Department:
The Poole College of Management actively engages with industry and academia to create an innovative and collaborative intellectual environment that fosters learning, scholarship, and service. We’re deeply rooted in NC State’s history as a university that excels at science, technology, engineering, and math. Essential Job Duties:
Our diverse student body — over 4,000 students — hails from across North Carolina, the United States, and the world. Our faculty are thought leaders and field-tested experts with enduring ties to the world of business.
Poole College of Management has four academic departments: Accounting, Business Management, Economics, and Management, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship. We offer bachelor’s degrees in accounting, business administration, economics; master’s degrees in accounting, business administration, economics, management; as well as a doctoral degree in economics. Among our non-degree programs, we offer Executive Education and graduate certificates.
The college houses six initiatives fostering research, learning, and corporate engagement: Business Analytics Initiative, Business Sustainability Collaborative, Enterprise Risk Management Initiative, Entrepreneurship Clinic, Entrepreneurship Collaborative, and Supply Chain Resource Cooperative.
The college is fully accredited by the AACSB.
This key position in the Poole College of Management provides the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, trends, routine and ad hoc reports, analysis, and dashboards as a basis for strategic planning, assessing performance, and anticipating opportunities. A successful Business Intelligence Analyst understands processes and asks probing questions to determine user needs and builds reporting solutions using business intelligence (BI) tools, pulls student, HR, financial, research, space, and other data from various systems. The Business Intelligence Analyst for the Poole College of Management will identify trends and issues; apply data visualization, description, and summary statistical techniques for timely insights.
To be successful in this role the individual not only collects the information, but presents information to college leadership committees, faculty, and staff; and provides information to units in a usable and accessible manner. The Business Intelligence Analysis will represent the colleges in meetings related to data and data analysis in the university community.
The successful candidate will be exceptional in the areas of identification of data sources and appropriate data elements necessary for responding to queries, questions, or complex issues. They will be able to identify sources of required data and any issues regarding capturing required data. The qualified candidate will implement selected methodology to develop results such as historic trends, current position, projected position or impact on resource requirements; performs comparison against identified standards, targets, and strategic plans; generates reports for results; identifies logistical and operation issues to target for improvement. Works collaboratively as a college team member; collaborates with OIT, Institutional Reporting, Enrollment Services, Admissions, and other NC State University groups to implement data solutions.
Business Intelligence Reporting and Dashboards
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to understand and evaluate business requirements and translate into specific BI solutions.
- Produce insightful BI content including report definitions, scorecards, dashboards, alerts, and automated delivery.
- Provide analytics, data mining, and other ad-hoc analysis as required.
- Create, maintain, and enforce data definitions and integrity standards.
- Define a data strategy for the college integrating with institutional data initiatives.
- Provide proactive technology leadership while driving change and maintaining a positive business climate.
- Lead training efforts to drive reports adoption, identify enhancements and clarify data definitions.
- Oversee the build, implementation, and maintenance of our data repository solution capturing various disparate data sources.
- Direct the implementation and testing of the database design and functionality.
- Develop database structures for data storage, retrieval, and reporting.
- Analyze data systems and document data elements, data flow, relationships, and dependencies.
- Develop automated and reusable routines for extracting information from various source applications.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
Master’s degree; or Bachelor’s degree with zero – two years’ of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and relevant experience. Degrees must be received from accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications:
- Proficient knowledge of statistics, analysis methodologies and the appropriate applications, MS access tables, queries, macros, reports, database tools and data visualization, MS excel pivot tables and analytical functions
- Experience in designing, developing, and implementing business intelligence and reporting solutions
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Strong independent working and problem-solving abilities
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Experience in university data systems.
- Knowledge of university financials and modified RCM budget model.
- Experience in managing customer support.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
07/09/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledPosition Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
200101 - Dean's Office-college Of ManagAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.