Career Education SpecialistPosition Number:
PSA/NEA - Professional Staff AssocPay Grade Level:
10Pay Grade Range:
$51,780 - $78,203Status :
Calendar Year, Full-time, LimitedDepartment:
Center Career Experiential EduContact(s):
Please note: Applications must be submitted directly online only at: https://jobs.uri.eduCampus Location:
NoJob Description Summary:
This is a full time calendar year position limited to June 30, 2022 with anticipated renewal.Duties and Responsibilities:
Work with academic advisors, faculty and employers to provide current knowledge of industry and academic standards related to career and internship advisement through individual, group, classroom, and outreach modalities. Use best practices for helping undergraduate students to engage in career planning from admission to graduation, incorporating career assessments, internships, project-based learning, resume, and interview skill development, to prepare students for the workforce.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Required Qualifications:
Each Career Education Specialist will have a focus area on related majors and career-oriented clusters.
In the area of Student Support, provide virtual and face-to-face, individual and group career advising through appointments, drop-ins, and classroom and other group presentations.
Educate students on all stages and functions of the career decision making process, including major choice exploration, experience acquisition, resume and application material development, industry, and employer research, interviewing skills, networking, and job/internship/volunteer/experience search strategies.
Competently use career assessments, including Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, CliftonStrengths, Values in Action (VIA), and others as appropriate.
Design, develop, market and present career development programming to students in classes, in the residence halls and to other student groups as requested.
Recruit, advise, and register students for the ITR Internship Program.
Use Starfish, Handshake, and Google platforms to manage data on all student advisees and programming efforts.
Assess student achievement of learning objectives.
Seek new methods of marketing all employer programs to all students.
In the area of Teaching, teach virtual and face-to-face career development and internship seminar classes.
Use the Brightspace learning management system for delivery of asynchronous online courses and as a supplement to face-to-face or synchronous online courses.
Infuse Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Social Justice education into all teaching and curriculum.
In the area of Partnerships, work with faculty, advisors, and employers related to assigned major/career cluster.
Collaborate with academic advisors and faculty to collect, market, and deliver industry specific information connecting majors and careers.
Partner with employers and alumni regarding industry related information and current economic and workforce development.
Collaborate with other career educators to evaluate and enhance programs and services to more effectively address student, faculty, and alumni needs.
Collaborate with Employer Relations to assure interface of all programs and services around on-campus interviews, career fairs, and listings related to internships and full-time jobs.
Seek new ways to reach employers, faculty, and students to encourage participation at events.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform additional duties as requested.
LICENSES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Personal computers, printers, word processing and spreadsheet software.
REQUIRED: Preferred Qualifications:
1. Master’s degree in higher education, college student personnel or field related to the designated career cluster.
2. Minimum one year experience providing career or internship advising in a college/university setting.
3. Demonstrated customer service skills.
4. Demonstrated organizational skills.
5. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
6. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to use and balance a variety of digital platforms.
8. Demonstrated project management experience.
9. Demonstrated ability to create programming and workshops.
10. Demonstrated experience fostering community partnerships.
11. Demonstrated experience and dedication to integrating issues of diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice into work.
12. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
PREFERRED: Environmental Conditions:
1. Demonstrated supervisory experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in the use of career assessment tools, including Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, CliftonStrengths, Values in Action (VIA), and/or others.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of print and on-line career resources.
4. Demonstrated curriculum design and assessment of experiential learning and/or career education.
5. Demonstrated experience in computer and web-based skills, including: career database and/or online teaching platforms, video communication and social media platforms.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.Posting Date:
07/22/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach the following 4 (PDF) documents to your online Employment Application:Quicklink for Posting:
(#1) Cover letter.
(#3) “Other Document – References” – the names and contact information of three professional references (pdf doc).(#4) “Other Document” – One page statement on commitment to social justice, inclusion, and equity in your work. (pdf doc).