The TRIO/College Success Program (CSP) & Multicultural Student Center (MSC) is accepting applications for a Retention Mentor/Multicultural Student Services Coordinator, for Sheridan College and Sheridan College in Johnson County. The position, under the Director of CSP will support student success, retention, and progression to graduation. Utilizing an academic mentoring model, the mentor will conduct individual and group outreach on a regular basis, provide comprehensive support for students, connect students to campus and community resources, monitor and track progress, and maintain communication with CSP and institutional faculty and staff. As part of the Multicultural Student Center, the coordinator will provide direct aid and support to students through programming and advocacy.
- Awareness and knowledge of issues facing minority students, first generation college students and students with limited income attending college
- Working knowledge of race theories, intersectionality, and issues facing multicultural students in a college/higher education setting
- Basic knowledge of college admission, advising, registration, financial aid, policies and procedures
- Basic understanding of multi-campus community college systems
- Basic understanding of integrated student information database systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office products
- Basic knowledge of TRiO programs
- High ethical standards, great communication skills with a wide variety of people, great listening skills, an understanding of financial aid, record keeping and contact logs management
- Ability to work with non-traditional, at-risk college students, ability to challenge students to promote growth, ability to create group curriculums based of a proposed topic
- Prior experience working with/for a TRiO or Educational Opportunity Programs is preferred.
- Having overcome similar barriers and/or come from similar backgrounds to the target population for the TRIO program.
- Advising in a higher education setting.
- Working with federal/state education grants.
- Fluency in Spanish
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Standard Office and classroom working environment, some nights and weekends may be required (for workshops, college visits, or other program events)
- Travel between Sheridan College and Sheridan College in Johnson County
- Live in-position (Housing provided on campus) for first year of employment with option to continue
- Ability to lift twenty (20) pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree required in education, counseling, higher education, student services, psychology, sociology, or related field.
- Preferred Master’s Degree in student development, education, psychology, sociology, or related field.
30% TRIO/Student Recruitment/Mentoring: Work with the CSP Director to identify, screen, select, and interview possible program participants. Serve as a resource regarding educational services as well as campus/community resources. Conduct individual and group mentor meetings in accordance with program policies. Work with students to build positive relationships focused on accountability and personal growth. Develop individual education plans, clear career and personal goals. Maintain individual contacts with program participants each year.
12% TRIO/Student Advising: Serve as an academic advisor for an assigned caseload with assistance from the Advising Department. Help students navigate course selection and on-line databases for registration. Work with the advising department for consistency and transparency in advising practice. Serve as the primary Career readiness expert. Work collaboratively with Financial Aid to provide students with financial aid understanding, basic financial literacy information, navigate student financial planning. Provide support to enrollment management and student support services at the Sheridan College in Johnson County. Work with Spanish-speaking families and community members related to TRIO/CSP.
TRIO/Program Requirements: Serve as a liaison with campus programs in promoting student success. Attend scheduled TRIO/CSP meetings and trainings. Facilitate workshops and other events as needed. Maintain program website, portal page, and other technologies used by the program. Assist CSP director in the coordination of retention services across campus and the District.
10% RIO/Data/Record Keeping: Manage and maintain accurate, timely, detailed, and confidential records and needed paperwork to foster student success. Monitor student progress in academics, financial literacy, and career goal attainment. Generate reports of retention data, student progress, and intervention effectiveness.
33% Multicultural Student Services: Take lead with assistance from CSP director in the design, planning, and implementation of MSC services. Work with the CSP director to identify and select student workers for the MSC. Provide supervision/training for student employees assigned to the MSC. Manage and maintain the MSC space to include the Spirituality Center. With student employees, facilitate cultural enrichment programming for Res Life/Housing, NWCCD student body, and faculty/staff. Act as student club coordinator for all clubs that intersect with the MSC. Create and provide Sheridan College campus with information and marketing materials for multicultural student services.
5% Perform related duties as requested.
- Employer paid retirement plan (17.37% employer paid; 1.75% employee paid)
- Group Health, Dental and Life Insurance, including Flex Benefits
- 20 days paid annual leave
- Four days per year paid personal leave
- 16 paid holidays per year
- Paid medical, emergency and bereavement leave
- Employee and family tuition waivers
- Free easy-access parking
- Collaborative work environment
- Onsite fitness center and walking track
- Verizon, Microsoft, Dell and HP employee discounts
- Professional development
Sheridan College is located in historic Sheridan, WY at the foot of the beautiful Big Horn Mountains, minutes away from a variety of outdoor recreational activities. Sheridan is ranked "America's Top Western Town" by True West magazine and is a vibrant community. Sheridan College is a vital component in the community.
Gillette College is located in Gillette, WY, the county seat of Campbell County. Located midway between the Big Horn Mountains to the West and the Black Hills of South Dakota to the east. Gillette is a growing, family-friendly community and enjoys a very strong economy due to energy-related industries located there.
NWCCD also includes a small campus site in Buffalo, WY.
Apply online at: https://jobs.sheridan.edu