DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical CampusSchool of Medicine | Department of NeurologyJob Title: Business Services Program DirectorPosition #00786218 – Requisition #22070
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
** This position is only open to current CU Employee’s.*
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Nature of Work
The Business Services Program Director is responsible for planning, organizing and directing the administrative activities of the following sub-specialty groups in the Department of Neurology: Multiple Sclerosis, Neuromuscular Medicine, Neurohospitalist/Stroke, Neuro-Oncology, Headache/Pain Medicine and Consultative, the Neurology Education Section and general administrative staff. We are seeking individuals who are collaborative, communicative, caring, detail oriented, organized, proactive, able to think critically, focused on quality, dedicated to personal growth, and highly motivated. The Business Services Program Director is fiscally responsible for the annual revenue of these sub-specialty groups. Annual revenue is comprised of professional fee income, grant and contract income, state appropriated funds, allocation of indirect cost recovery revenue, and other sources. The subspecialties indicated are currently comprised of 49 faculty, 6 faculty fellows, 10 administrative staff, and 19 Professional Research Assistants.Faculty and Staff are geographically dispersed between the following locations: School of Medicine and University of Colorado Hospital, Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center, Denver Health Medical Center and Children’s Hospital Colorado.Professional Field
Finance and AdministrationSupervision Received
Director of Finance and AdministrationSupervision Exercised
Direct supervision of Administrative Assistants and staff in the assigned sub-specialty groups, including the Education section as well as other assigned University Staff.Examples of Work Performed
Clinical Practice ManagementManages faculty practice plan and clinical revenues for assigned specialties.Analyze, on a monthly basis, clinical billing, collections and contract income; create reports as needed to communicate collections, wRVU, and salary surplus status to faculty members and section chiefs.Oversee and troubleshoot clinic scheduling and operational issues.Assist faculty with Maintenance of Certification (MOC) requirements as needed.Oversee and direct the management of faculty schedules to ensure accuracy and timeliness.Grant and Contract Management Manage grant activity and financials and communicate on a regular basis to principal investigators. Partner with key faculty on assisting with budgeting for new programs and initiatives that could eventually be a new source of revenue for the group.Human Resource Management Work with department HR to complete HR specific duties for the employees within designated sub-specialty groups to include: recruitment, hiring, funding distribution, completion of performance evaluations, corrective actions if necessary and off-boarding.Assist with the credentialing, licensure and training of new faculty.Train, coach, develop, and supervise the Administrative Assistants in all sub-specialties as well as other assigned staff, creating performance plans as needed.Planning, Development and AnalysisDirect planning activities for the Department of Neurology, including long-range and short-range business and strategic planning. Manage all Webspace responsibilities for spaces in use by the designated sub-specialty groups.Assist faculty with CME events and requirements.Other duties and projects as assigned.Salary and Benefits:
- Serves as the backup Fiscal Authority for the financial and administrative operations of the Department of Neurology in conjunction with the other Business Services Program Directors, the Director of Finance and Administration and Chair
- Interacts extensively with the Director of Finance & Administration and other Business Services Program Directors in the central administrative team to assess administrative and financial needs of the department and to revise policies and procedures to meet changing needs.
- Assists in planning in activities that relate to future growth. This includes assistance with the DFA related to strategic planning for all aspects of practice management including human resource management, performance improvement, information technology, and revenue enhancement.
- Serves on sectional and other committees as assigned by the DFA.
- Acts as a positive role model and leader and ensure systems are in place to support the faculty and department as a whole.
- In collaboration with the DFA, helps establish and achieve financial goals and measures, monitors financial performance, and ensures the on-going financial performance of the entire department.
- Become an expert in each assigned sub-specialty; its financials, its faculty, their activities and their administrative requirements; the diseases its faculty treats; its research (proposed and performed); and its clinical activity. Become an expert across all sub-specialties of the department in the backup role to the DFA.
- Financial Management:
- Fiscal responsibility and management of all funds including state, federal, auxiliary, gift, endowment funds, grant and contract funds, and CU Medicine/clinical funds. Also manages the financial aspects of operations and staffing, faculty recruitment, and other short- and long-term planning functions.
- Assist with the department incentive plan including monitoring, tracking, calculating and reporting, and regular distribution of payments per CU Medicine and department guidelines.
- Prepares budgets, controls, and regularly monitors revenue and expenditure activity for each source of funds.
- Oversees execution of financial policies and procedures related to all facets of the University and CU Medicine financial enterprise systems (PeopleSoft, Concur, CU Marketplace, etc.) including electronic and paper approval and submission (i.e., POs, SPOs, University Payment Vouchers, Travel Reconciliation, Employee Reimbursements, CU Medicine Travel and CU Medicine Accounts Payable, etc.) to ensure that they are handled in a compliant and timely manner.
- Prepares faculty salary data and sources of funds for annual salary recommendation process and responds to requests from the department for fiscal budgetary information.
- Monitor physician services billing and collection activity.
- Direct the preparation of annual budgets and oversee their execution through the year.
- Manage the current year budget, forecast budget vs. actual spending and reconcile expenses to the general ledger.
- Design financial reports for a variety of funding sources.
- Ensure appropriate financial controls and fiduciary stewardship, determine areas vulnerable from an audit perspective and develop plans/recommendation to strengthen those areas.
- Direct the analysis and interpretation of financial information and develop related business operation plans.
- Perform a monthly review of gift and other non-grant funds and communicate on a regular basis to faculty members.
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established at $65,067 to $96,000 range. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in public health or closely related field
- Three years of progressively complex experience in HR, finance and administration in a higher education setting.
- Five years of supervisory experience in a university or healthcare setting.
- Five years of experience with academic programs such as residencies and fellowships.
- Experience with HCM, CU-Data, Axiom, and databases.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Four years of progressively complex experience in HR, finance and administration in a higher education setting may substitute for a master’s degree.
- Three years of experience with faculty promotions, capital equipment inventory and webspace tracking.
- Five years of experience with the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus and knowledge of the rules of the School of Medicine and the policies of the Board of Regents as they apply to promotions, recruitment and terminations.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and evaluate a broad range of laws, rules, and regulations in order to exercise good judgment in applying them.
- Ability to manage complex, sensitive and confidential information and align multiple, competing demands with established priorities.
- Knowledge of the professional standards, concepts, and practices in organizational development, project management, and leadership
- Superior analytical skills.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple self-directed projects that may, at times, have competing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail, balanced with ability to maintain a broad perspective.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively within diverse team structures – grounded in diversity, equity, and inclusive principles.
- Ability to manage financial and accounting information systems.
- Ability to analyze financial and accounting information to identify as well as correct variances.
- Dedication and commitment to professional development and life-long learning
- Ability to be adaptable, flexible, and think quickly on your feet.Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally, including public speaking. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to take initiative with daily work activities and collaborates to create a positive effect on team performance.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. Job Category:
Business ServicesPrimary Location:
Jul 14, 2021Unposting Date: