Job no: 517285
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Health Profession
Department:29141701 - MD-SURG-TCV AORTIC DISEASE CTR
This position will provide genetic counseling services in a busy academic clinical cardiovascular setting that includes patients with familial aortic diseases, as well as connective tissue disorders, e.g., Marfan Syndrome. This position will report to the Director of the UF Aortic Disease Center and will work in collaboration with a team of physicians and researchers in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery, cardiology, and vascular surgery. This position will be responsible for managing genetic counseling interactions during medical clinics, coordinating genetic testing and follow-up visits, providing test results to patients, obtaining/reviewing medical records, and conducting outreach to patient, families and stakeholders. The position will be instrumental in designing and implementing systems to collect, maintain, and analyze operational data.
Duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for managing genetic counseling interactions and providing genetics counseling services to include: (1) meet with individual/family and gather information about genetic risks; (2) educate the individual/family about the genetics of aortic disease and/or connective tissue disorders as well as the benefits, risks and limitations of genetic testing; (3) perform risk assessments and discuss these risks with the patient; (4) carry out the informed consent process as outlined by UF Health; (5) arrange any appropriate genetic testing; (6) meet with those families pursuing a second time to discuss results and provide health management information support and counseling; (7) generate summaries to be mailed to the patient and their referring physician.
- Implement case management plan in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team and patient/family.
- Write detailed consultation reports conveying complex genetic concepts to patients and referring physicians and appropriately document all other patient encounters.
- Make appropriate referrals to social service agencies and other applicable support groups.
- Work with divisional staff to coordinate appointments, referrals and collection of appropriate records.
- Oversee the overall activities of the clinical genetics program as it relates to the provision of genetics counseling.
- Participate in the development of operating goals and objectives for the center by recommending, implementing, and administering methods and procedures to enhance the operations as appropriate to the center.
$65,000-$75,000 annual salary; commensurate with education and experience.
Master's degree in genetics counseling or a related field from a program accredited by a national certification board for medical genetics personnel.
- Master's degree in human genetics and genetic counseling with board eligibility/certification by the American Board of Genetic Counseling, and one year of professional genetic counseling experience, or equivalent.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience in cardiovascular clinical genetics.
- Working knowledge of database software and basic statistical analysis.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Include a cover letter and a copy of your resume with your application.
- Please provide names and email addresses of three to five references as part of the application process. When ready, the hiring department will contact the listed references via email requesting their reference letters to be uploaded directly to the application website.
- Background check required.
- Verification of education is required.
- This is a time-limited position.
- This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
- Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 19 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 08 Aug 2021 Eastern Daylight Time