Job no: 517359
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Department:60470000 - AG-WILDLIFE ECOLOGY / CONSERV
Biological Scientist II
The genetics lab of Drs. James Austin and Samantha Wisely is looking for an energetic, high-functioning person to join our team of biologists and graduate student researchers in the Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, at the University of Florida, Gainesville.
The primary duties will involve: i) generating molecular genetic data (HMW DNA/RNA isolations, PCR, Real-time PCR, genotyping and sequencing, reduced representation library construction), creating/troubleshooting methods; ii) overseeing general lab operation and organization (e.g., general equipment maintenance and QC, organization of equipment use; coordinating lab chores among users; ordering basic lab supplies; ensuring lab safety standards are maintained and communicated with UF Health and Safety; chemical and biological waste management and disposal; submission and receiving shipments; iii) maintaining BSL-2 compliance; iv) data management and maintaining SOPs; iv) training and lab-supervision of new undergraduate and graduate students (e.g., overseeing new student training sessions, ensuring fulfillment of online training for hazardous waste).
Laboratory organization/coordinating equipment use schedules; inventorying, ordering, receiving and stocking consumables; and basic maintenance of equipment. Serves as chemical and biological waste manager for the lab. Oversight of TEAMS and OPS staff;
Molecular genetics data generation (e.g. DNA isolations, polymerase chain reactions, Reduced representation library generation);
Data analysis, including but not limited to bioinformatics on genomic data, basic GIS work, basic analysis of genetic data (data base management, generating figures and tables for data reports);
Preparation and evaluation of data as accumulated from multiple projects;
Training of undergraduates and new graduate students (training in DNA isolations, polymerase chain reactions, restriction digest reactions, standard operating procedures, data management, etc).
Expected Salary:$45,000, commensurate with education and trainingMinimum Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience; or a Master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field.
- Master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field and more than three years of relevant experience.
- MS in biological sciences with focus on genomic data generation and analysis, experience with responsibilities including molecular laboratory duties, and demonstrated experience working as part of a molecular genetics team.
- Applicants having experience in generating molecular genetic data, with an emphasis on next-generation sequence data analysis, RNA isolation/cDNA library development, and SNP marker data collection, demonstrated record keeping, data organization, data archiving skills as well as experience in the basic application of languages such as python and/or R will be preferred.
- Strong inter-personal skills are required; candidate will be interacting with a large, diverse group of lab users (2 PIs, plus approximately 20 graduate, undergraduate and technicians). The candidate must possess or be able to obtain a Florida driver’s license.
- Preference will be given to applicants that clearly articulate their relevant experience (per above) in their cover letter, and who provide references that can speak to your ability to perform in a busy molecular laboratory and be a team player.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered, please upload your cover letter, resume and at least three professional references. Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required:YES - Animal Contact
Advertised: 13 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 28 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time