Posting #: 3049
Position Status: Full-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Administrator, Office of the Vice President and Provost
Position Title & Department:
STEM Retention Specialist;Institute of College Initiatives/Student Support ServicesPosting #
The University of San Diego Institute of College Initiatives introduces local, national, and international communities -- especially students and their families -- to the University, and provides academic and support services to assist student achievement. Student Support Services is jointly funded by the U.S. Department of Education and the University of San Diego to serve eligible undergraduates at USD. The program provides opportunities for academic development, assists with college requirements, and serves to retain and motivate students towards the successful completion of their post-secondary education at USD.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a Temporary Position, with an anticipated end date of June 19, 2022.
Assist in the general administration of the USD Student Support Services Program.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Direct Implementation of Project Philosophy, Goals, and Objectives
- Assist with the identification, recruitment, selection, and support of the AnchorSTEM Project and Student Support Services program participants
- Assist with project evaluation
- Compile and maintain data on project services and activities for participants as relevant to academic activities. Enter data to the database for recall as needed in completing evaluation reports.
Perform administrative duties as required or assigned
- Development and Assist in Providing Direct Service to Participants
- Assist in the identification of and develop programs for academic remediation, including assessment, academic advising, academic, personal, career, and organizational counseling, referrals, and enrichment activities
- Collaborate with STEM leaders on campus (including Project AnchorSTEM) to establish and implement a support system for STEM project participants
- With other staff, assist in the development and implementation of Project goals and objectives, including the Summer Bridge Program
- Monitor student performance for Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters
Liaison to USD and Local, Federal, and State communities and agencies
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- As described above, maintain time and effort records for the program (tutors, students, and summer instructional staff).
- Maintain up-to-date testing, tutoring, and instructional records and collect and compile data on project services.
- Maintain records for workshops conducted in the Fall and Spring semesters and for the Summer Bridge Program. After receiving the schedule of topics and speakers each semester, arrange for suitable rooms and A/V equipment for the chosen dates and times, purchase/order refreshments, as necessary. Take student attendance. Keep copies of all handouts and follow-up information. File attendance sheets and brochures for future reference.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's degree preferred; Master's and/or Bachelor's degree in STEM-related field required. A degree, coursework, and/or supervised experience in counseling, education, or related field required
- Two-years work experience in high school or university setting or equivalent
- Two-years administrative experience, or, in lieu of work experience, must have previous participation in another TRIO program (as a participant or staff member)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Personal experience overcoming barriers similar to those confronting our students in the Project's target population (STEM major, low-income, first-generation to college, underrepresented, or documented disability)
- Knowledge of financial aid and financial literacy procedures
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- The Retention Specialist will also need to travel to meetings in other USD locations and conferences and training throughout the U.S.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint programs
- Willingness to learn Salesforce, Blumen, and Workday programs
Tools & Equipment Used:
- University computer, printer, photocopier. Shredder, scanner, and fax machine.
- Ability to drive university vehicles (van and golf cart).
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: July 13, 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled