Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute of Human Virology (IHV)
is currently recruiting for a Laboratory Research Assistant
. The Laboratory Research Assistant is responsible for performing research activities in a laboratory setting. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions:
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance and research activities such as: general housekeeping, wipe tests, ELISA assays, preparing solutions, media, stains, and buffers; cultures and specimens; autoradiograms and photomicrographs, executing biochemical procedures such as: electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, and DNA extractions, etc.
- May perform advanced laboratory research activities such as: animal surgery, microscopy techniques, imaging techniques, recombinant DNA techniques, protein purification, and hybridizations, etc. May participate in the design of research studies.
- Compile and may analyze research data using various relevant computer software applications.
- Assist with literature research, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
- May perform administrative duties such as: training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; assisting in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation; and ordering supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelors in Biology, Chemistry or in a field of study related to the research of the laboratory. Other:
May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Institute of Human VirologyJob Posting:
Jul 12, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 26, 2021, 11:59:00 PM