Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute of Human Virology (IHV)
is currently recruiting for a Phlebotomist
. Under direct supervision, obtains and prepares blood and non-blood specimens for analysis. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Verifies positive identification and explains specimen collection methods and procedures to patient.
- Performs venipunctures and fingersticks to obtain blood specimens according to established aseptic techniques.
- Labels, dates, and records specimens obtained. Ensures that specimens are sent in a timely manner to the appropriate laboratory for culture and analysis.
- Maintains record or database of activities such as patients seen, type and number of specimens obtained, type and number of specimens received, and test results.
- Assembles equipment such as needles, disposable specimen containers, tourniquet, gauze, cotton, and alcohol according to specified procedures. Monitors inventory and orders supplies.
- Disinfects work area and equipment according to established methods and procedures in order to prevent spread of infection and/or disease.
- Provides general clerical support such as typing, answering phones, responding to general inquiries, scheduling appointments, and mailings.
High-school diploma or GED. Experience: Other:
Phlebotomy Certifcation Required Knowledges/Skills/Abilities:
Ability to learn and perform venipunctures and fingersticks. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions. Ability to use computers and other office equipment. Ability to perform extensive standing and walking. Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when verifying patient identification, drawing blood, labeling specimens, and recording activities. Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment. Other:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience. Conditions of Employment:
Candidates selected for employment must successfully complete a formal or in house training in phlebotomy techniques. Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.Overtime, weekend, on-call and shift work may be required in some positions.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union). Salary Range:
$32,000 - $37,000
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Institute of Human VirologyJob Posting:
Jul 12, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 31, 2021, 11:59:00 PM