Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
013116NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
Vehicle Equipment Repair Technician - AdvancedWorking Title:
Automotive Shop Lead Master TechnicianSalary Range:
$42,935 - $49,055Anticipate Hiring Range:
$42,935 - $46,365FLSA Status:
Facilities Management (Adm)Work Unit:
FM Vehicle MaintenanceWork Schedule:
6:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.; Monday – Friday with occasional evening and weekend hours required, as necessary. Primary Purpose of Position:
This position is designated as ‘mandatory’ and, when contacted to report to work, its incumbent is expected to reach the building as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather conditions.
This position manages the acquisition, replacement, repair and service of all vehicles and equipment fleet. Vehicles range from motor fleet cars and vans, maintenance vehicles (trucks, golf carts, alternative fuel vehicles, battery operated utility vehicles), trailers, tractors, construction equipment, powered tools, agricultural equipment and any all related body and paint work. Plans, organizes and directs service operations that may be statewide in nature or division/agency based. Sets mid- to long-range maintenance/operational goals and objectives and prioritizes activities and tasks; prepares alternative plans to meet changing conditions and ensure timely task accomplishment; coordinates a wide variety of vehicle/ equipment operational, diagnostic, and repair services. Provides rationale to management for budget expenditures; adjusts budgets as appropriate or directed; understands and applies financial planning strategies to develop budget. Manages the vehicle aging report and vehicle replacement program. Prepares annual budget reports; analyzes monthly records and reports to evaluate efficiency and economy. Also manages the computerized fuel management system.Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
Graduation from high school or equivalent. Experience in the field of work related to the position’s role may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from a two-year technical college with an Associate degree in Automotive Systems Technology or Heavy Equipment and Transport Technology and a minimum of three years progressive automotive and equipment diagnostic analysis and repair experience including electrical, electronic and engine performance systems; or an equivalent combination of training and directly related experience.
1. Repair vehicles that range from motor fleet cars and maintenance vehicles that include trucks, golf cars, alternative fuel vehicles, electric vehicles, battery operated utility vehicles, Vantage/Mitsubishi utility vehicles, trailers, push carts, hand trucks, and other utility vehicles. Other Work Responsibilities:
2. Complete all automotive work of a detailed, technical nature that is usually performed by a Mechanic II or under the direction of the supervisor.
3. Demonstrate advanced level knowledge of the following systems: ignition, cooling, fuel, electrical, brake, exhaust, suspension, engine and power train.
4. Demonstrate advance level knowledge of A/C recovery and repairs.
5. Educate and train technicians on HVAC recovery and safe handling of materials.
6. Lead a team of technicians by being the first point of contact when faced with difficult diagnostic and repair issues.
7. Maintain accurate documentation of work performed and/or recommended work needed.
8. Balance workloads and meet industry time standards for repairs and service.
1. Assign, supervise and participate in major and minor mechanical repairs on all vehicles and other light motorized equipment; diagnose all internal combustion engine maintenance problems. Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
2. Assist in the selection of new employees; train, supervise and evaluate assigned employees; recommend disciplinary action or promotion as appropriate; review completed work and provide feedback as necessary.
3. Take necessary actions to interpret and base repairs or maintenance on code search diagnostics using scanning instruments related to the particular vehicle independently .
4. Recommend vehicle/equipment assignments campus wide, based on usage and needs analysis; establish production and quality control.
5. Review staffing requirements and recommend required changes.
6. Assist with the processes to properly handle the surplus of equipment including tracking of stored surplus items.
7. Re-purpose/reuse parts recovered from vehicles whenever possible. Document equipment salvaged for parts used to repair other equipment.
8. Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated to support all operations.
1. Ten years’ experience in diagnostic and repair of automotive and other related equipment, which includes the ability to repair and maintain major systems found in automotive, bus, truck, emergency response vehicles, construction equipment, powered tools, agricultural equipment and off-road equipment, to include air and hydraulic brake systems, gas, diesel, and other engines, transmission, differentials, electrical and hydraulic systems. Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
2. Advanced level working knowledge of the following systems: ignition, cooling, fuel, electrical, brake, exhaust, suspension, engine and power train.
3. Avanced level knowledge of A/C recovery and repairs.
4. Five years’ supervisory/shop foreman experience related to this position.
6. Certifications from ASE for an ASE Certified Master Technician or ability to acquire within a specified period of time after date of hire.
7. Demonstrated experience delivering outstanding customer service.
8. Good organizational and excellent interpersonal skills.
9. Ability to effectively manage and promote a diverse and inclusive work place.
10. Experience in managing situations using diplomacy, fairness, firmness, and sound judgment.
11. Ability to serve as a lead worker, and provide technical assistant to co-workers.
12. Ability to serve as a shop foreman to create work schedules, and maintain employee records related to time and attendance.
13. Ability to provide and maintain budget requests.
14. Experience using initiative, discretion, and judgment within established procedures, guidelines, and rules.
15. Proven ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing.
16. Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.
17. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork with coworkers, visitors, building occupants and the entire campus community.
18. Ability to effectively communicate the English language (read, write, comprehend and speak).
19. Computer literate; proficient with Google and Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn new programs.
20. Selected candidates must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
1. ASE Certified Master Technician Work Location:
2. Valid drivers license.
FM - AutomotivePosting date:
07/21/2021Proposed Hire Date:
08/02/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
* These documents are used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
* Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
* Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from consideration, but it may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and experience.