Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
001204NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
University Program Associate - JourneyWorking Title:
Conference ManagerSalary Range:
$37,203 - $44,218Anticipate Hiring Range:
$37,203 - $41,794FLSA Status:
Student Union Activities & Rec(Adm)Work Unit:
Cone Center ConferencesWork Schedule:
8:00 am – 5:00 pm; Monday – Friday with occasional evening and weekend hours required, as necessary.Primary Purpose of Position:
The Conference Manager serves as an integral part of the daily operation of the Conferences, Reservations and Event Services (CRES) program and responsible for the logistical coordination of meetings, conferences, camps and special events designed to meet the needs of the customer while adhering to State, University and departmental policies and procedures. Minimum Education/Experience:
Coordinates a variety of University facilities and services for events. This work is performed by utilizing various software programs to confirm space availability and make appropriate facility and services accommodations needed for the event.
Works collaboratively with numerous constituencies including, but not limited to, Housing, Dining Services, Auxiliary Services, Police and Public Safety, Parking Services, Facilities Management, University Recreation, Athletics, etc. in order to coordinate services on behalf of the customer.
Develops bid proposals/estimates and prepares accurate and thorough contracts and invoices for events. They must have the ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
Must possess the ability to function professionally with frequent interruptions and deadlines, and must exhibit high-end customer service skills at all times.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from a four year college or university and one year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
• Responsible for the logistical coordination of meetings, conferences, camps and special events for both internal and external customers. Other Work Responsibilities:
• Work collaboratively with other staff members in Conferences, Reservations and Event Services (CRES) at all times to promote team unity, especially in times of high demand or vacations.
• Maintain open communication with customers throughout the extent of the event process to discuss details ensuring that all needs and expectations are communicated and managed.
• Develop in-depth understanding of the processes and policies within each service department directly involved in event execution (e.g. audio visual, food and beverage, set up, parking, housing, etc.) to be able to interpret and communicate these policies to customers.
• Ensure all assigned space and resources are accurately reserved and are in compliance with state, University and CRES policies, procedures and regulations.
• Conduct and/or attend informational meetings with on-campus service partners on a regular basis to ensure accurate event arrangements according to customer’s needs.
• Gather and compile accurate and thorough event documentation including proposals, contracts and invoices for outlining the services required and compensation expected for facilities and services rendered.
• Consult regularly with the customers on any changes to agreement and relay information in a timely manner to service partners.
• Conduct and summarize customer service surveys, evaluations and program assessments to measure service effectiveness and offer recommendations for future improvements.
• Develop and nurture strong working relationships across various campus departments in an effort to build solid and effective partnerships, accomplish objectives and foster innovation.
• Remain current and knowledgeable on services and products available in order to provide detailed explanation of resources to customers. Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
• Ensure required forms/documents are completed, submitted and approved by established deadlines.
• Ensure all scheduling fees, deposits and payments are received and recorded according to the University’s payment guidelines.
• Maintain accurate and updated information on required documents, calendars and checklists.
• Use knowledge, resources and delegated authority to provide resolutions to issues and problems.
• Serve as back up for other CRES staff by answering telephones, assisting with walk-in inquiries, and accepting and entering reservation requests as needed.
• Develop relationships with key vendors to establish future business (e.g. hotels, business organizations, community groups, etc.).
• Demonstrate awareness of department’s global impact on the campus by informing the University community and customers of current and revised event policies and procedure that affect standard business practices through educational workshops and training sessions.
• Uphold daily departmental expectations and ensure that services provided are at the highest possible level.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Event Planning, Management, Hospitality or other related field. Work Location:
• 2-4 years experience in a professional event planning environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Outstanding customer service and client relations skills.
• Proficiency in computer software including Microsoft Office and Google.
• Ability to work with a diverse clientele.
• Ability to multitask and conduct business in an active and constantly changing environment.
• Previous experience working in an institution of higher education.
UNC Charlotte Main CampusPosting date:
08/01/2021Proposed Hire Date:
08/16/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
This posting will fill two vacant Conference Manager positions in Conferences, Reservations and Event Services (CRES).
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
* These documents are used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
* Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
* Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from consideration, but it may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and experience.