Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
012900NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
Building Environmental Technician - JourneyWorking Title:
Building Environmental TechnicianSalary Range:
$31,200Anticipate Hiring Range:
Student Union Activities & Rec(Adm)Work Unit:
Cone Univ CenterWork Schedule:
This posting will fill two vacant (3rd shift) positions:Primary Purpose of Position:
Position #012900: 10:30 pm to 7:00 am; Monday – Friday – 40 hours per week.
Position #012884: 10:30pm to 7:00am, Saturday – Wednesday – 40 Hours per week.
The Building Services staffs are responsible for all the custom room set ups of the conference rooms within the Cone Center, as well as occasional outside venues. The room set ups include setting up tables, chairs, podiums, display boards, stages, flip charts and easels. This position ensures that rooms are set up properly for all events and performs housekeeping and floor care services throughout the building. This position is designated “essential personnel” requiring the individual to report to work as designated by policy. When contacted, incumbent is expected to reach the campus as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather.Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
Some knowledge of cleaning procedures, ability to follow instructions and to perform medium to heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Some knowledge of cleaning procedures, one year of experience demonstrating the ability to follow instructions in operating specialized floor-cleaning or other cleaning equipment and in performing medium to heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
This is a journey level third shift position with the following essential duties. Technical skills required involve janitorial/housekeeping, floor care, and custom room setups. Other Work Responsibilities:
All hours physically worked after 4:00 pm will entitle employee to receive an additional 10% night shift differential pay.
• Cone Building Environmental Technicians clean and maintain all building areas inside, and designated perimeter outside, to established high unit standards.
• Perform advanced operations of equipment such as auto scrubbers, burnishers, and extractors for maintaining hard floors and carpet.
• Clean and maintain facilities on a daily basis to include: restroom stocking, sanitizing & cleaning; windows/glass, offices, auditorium, dining areas, meeting rooms and common areas by detail cleaning all surfaces and all furnishings.
• Move tables, chairs, podiums, staging, pianos, room dividers, and other furnishings inside and outside the facility as requested for custom room set ups and breakdowns.
• Building Services crews review and interpret computer generated room reservation documents, reports and diagrams to set-up facility areas and meeting rooms as requested.
• Understand the needs of a variety of clients, responding to customer requests in a timely manner, and appreciates the importance of clients in the work environment.
• Recognize potential problems in service, and address and resolve promptly. Treat customers courteously and with respect at all times, and sustain productive customer relationships. Interact with Cone clients, including students, visitors, staff, faculty, and administrators, in a friendly, open and accepting manner.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with others in order to encourage and support communication and teamwork. Assist co-workers to even out workloads during peak periods.
• Demonstrate an understanding of one’s role within the organization and display positive, professional behavior.
• Building Technicians should understand and follow all prescribed safety procedures and regulations related to Departmental/University policy and equipment standards.
• Recognize and comply with safety instructions, fire codes, rules, policies, and procedures in regards to maintaining and cleaning equipment and machines, mixing chemicals, or lifting, moving and storing furniture and equipment. Take action to correct and report hazards.
• Attend all recommended and required in-person, on-line safety and SkillPort classes, and mandatory staff development workshops and departmental discussions.
Building Services Technicians should have knowledge and skills to perform Housekeeping/janitorial and detail floor care duties – with ability to operate specialized floor machines. Previous event set-up experience is preferred. Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
• Must have ability to perform medium to heavy lifting, be able to comprehend written set-up reports, and interpret room diagrams.
• Must have a demonstrated record of dependability and performance stability and of consistently meeting the day-to-day demands of the job. Building Services Techs carry out assigned tasks in efficient and effective manner and put forth consistent effort to get the job done.
• Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration
• Professional cleaning / janitorial experience Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
• Previous set-up experience desired.
• Applicant must be self-motivated, able to take direction well, and have a demonstrated record of dependability.
• Ability to properly use and care for all manual and power equipment and chemicals required in Building Environmental Services and floor care functions.
• Computer literate and willingness to learn new programs required.
• Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.
• Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork.
Where applicable, must be eligible for required certification.Work Location:
Cone CenterPosting date:
07/22/2021Proposed Hire Date:
08/06/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
• This posting will fill two vacant 3rd shift positions in the Cone University Center (Position #012900 and #012884).
• Please submit a resume with your application. These documents will be used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, and professional experience.
• Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application. Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
• If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
• Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• This position is designated as mandatory and, when/if contacted to report to work, the employee is expected to reach the campus as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by adverse weather conditions.