Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
010044NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
Building Environmental Technician - AdvancedWorking Title:
BES&R - Recycling TechnicianSalary Range:
$31,200 - $33,032Anticipate Hiring Range:
$31,200 - $31,380FLSA Status:
Facilities Management (Adm)Work Unit:
6:00 am – 2:30 pm; Monday – Friday with occasional evening or weekend hours. Primary Purpose of Position:
This position is designated as ‘mandatory’ and, when contacted to report to work, its incumbent is expected to reach the campus as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather conditions.
The BES&R Technician supports Building Environmental Services and Recycling (BES&R) and Facilities Management to provide cleaning and recycling services for campus. This position helps clean different areas of campus, keep areas clear of trash and recycling, transport materials to their appropriate disposal location, and prepare materials to be removed from campus. The majority of work is performed outdoors and in parking decks. Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
Some knowledge of cleaning procedures, ability to follow instructions and to perform medium to heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Some knowledge of cleaning procedures, two years of experience demonstrating the ability to operate specialized floor-cleaning or other cleaning equipment and in performing medium to heavy physical work; or three years of experience as a housekeeper; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte Facilities Management Department is seeking an outgoing motivated person to join our staff as a Building Environmental Services & Recycling (BES&R) Technician. This position supports BES&R and its efforts to reduce waste, increase recycling, and maintain cleanliness of campus by performing duties that include, but are not limited to: Other Work Responsibilities:
1. Operate vehicles and equipment to help process materials that include box trucks, balers, pallet jacks, carts and trailers, trash compactors.
2. Blow down parking decks, picking up litter, clean elevators and restrooms, and wipe down collection bins.
3. Collect materials and data associated with recyclables and landfill.
4. Report, prepare and transport materials to designated locations.
5. Ensure materials are properly sorted and free from contaminants.
6. Maintain neat, clean, orderly and safe equipment, collection locations and work sites.
7. Perform the majority of assigned job duties outside and in parking decks.
1. Assist with special events (Zero Waste Football, Earth Day, Campus Cleanup, etc).Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
2. Exert between 10 lbs. and 50 lbs. of force as required to move pallets, bags of trash and recycling, gas-powered blowers, and other supplies and equipment.
3. Assist with other BES&R tasks when delegated.
4. Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated to support all operations of the department.
1. Knowledge of recycling processes. Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
2. Strong customer service orientation.
3. Ability to operate vehicles and equipment to help process materials including, but not limited to box truck, balers, pallet jacks, carts and trailers, trash compactors.
4. Ability to report, prepare and transport materials to designated locations.
5. Ability to collect materials and data associated with recyclables and landfill.
6. Ability to perform the majority of assigned job duties outside and in parking decks.
7. Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing, interpretation and comprehension) required.
8. Effective skills in verbal, written and interpersonal communications.
9. Computer literate. Knowledge and skill with Google Chrome, Microsoft Office Word and willingness to learn new programs.
10. Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.
11. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork.
12. Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Valid driver’s license required. Work Location:
FM - Building Environmental Services - Team 9Posting date:
07/25/2021Proposed Hire Date:
08/09/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
* Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
* Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.