Communications Coordinator, Alumni Engagement Location:
Alumni Engagement Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
Only complete applications including NAU application, a cover letter outlining interest in position and how past experience matches with job requirements, and a resume with 3-5 professional references will be considered.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This position is critical in the outreach to more than 180,000 Northern Arizona University Alumni. Communicating for one of the best alumni networks in the country, this position will tell the alumni story, connect alumni to valuable life and career resources, and articulate to the next generation of Lumberjacks what it means to be an alum. This position will play an important role to communicate NAU’s success, feature alumni milestones, and strengthen the ties alumni have to each other and to their alma mater. In partnership with other Alumni Engagement colleagues, this position will maintain strategic and consistent brand messaging through a variety of channels. Collaboration with University Marketing, NAU Foundation, University Events, NAU Athletics, and other internal and external partners will also be required. The position will report directly to the Communications Manager of Alumni Engagement.
- Develop and support communications and outreach for alumni engagement programming including volunteer management, alumni career development, alumni chapter events, alumni benefits, and affinity groups.
- Support alumni web presence with engaging content, upcoming, and alumni class notes on Advancement website.Create innovative and relevant social media content including posts, pictures, video, graphics, digital ads, etc.) for all NAU Alumni channels. Promote a strong, consistent presence on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, and Flickr and integrate philanthropic messaging.Integrate alumni communications with community partners such as University Marketing, NAU Social, City of Flagstaff, etc.
- Develop and assist with the collection of photography assets. Manage asset library and photo sharing processes.
- Lead Alumni Engagement’s video strategy, including production, editing, and publishing. Assist with the acquisition of new alumni photography for department and university communications. Collaborate with University Marketing photographers and contract with affiliate photographers to build alumni digital repository. Utilize University Marketing templates to produce visual collateral, including print and digital post cards, newsletters, brochures, banners, etc.
- Co-facilitate Advancement Digital Innovations team. Collaborate with division partners to develop and execute Advancement social media paid and organic post strategy, including tracking and reporting analytics.
- Work with alumni chapter program staff to develop event social outreach, event coverage plans and on-site, live coverage.
- Support overall alumni and donor stewardship efforts.
- Analyze effectiveness of communication methods through platform analytics. Perform social content audits to improve performance. Generate monthly, quarterly, and annual communication metrics reports.
- Assist in the procurement of alumni stories and university news for Pine magazine. Review content drafts and provide recommendations and edits in time with deadlines.
- Attend and provide on-site coverage for various Alumni Engagement events, including Homecoming, commencement, reunions, chapter events, Alumni Association Board meetings, etc.
- Manage incoming communication related social media inquiries and messages providing prompt, accurate and professional responses.
- Supervise the department’s communications student employees and interns.
- Assist with the implementation and evaluation of the University’s and Alumni Association’s strategic plan.
- Actively participate and assist with ongoing alumni engagement events and programming, including engagement with Alumni Association Board.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Occasional weekend and evening work required.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in field appropriate to area of assignment, AND
- 2-4 years of administrative/coordinative experience; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Master’s degree in field appropriate to area of assignment.
- Previous experience working in a higher education environment.
- Previous experience producing professional social media on behalf of a brand.
- Experience with video production and editing.
- Understanding of website content management systems.
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and/or Illustrator.
- Experience with program development, implementation, and assessment.
- Experience with project management.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to prioritize, work independently, initiate and follow-through on assignments.
- Ability to translate constructive feedback into positive change.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Extraordinary attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Effective communication skills and professional demeanor.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $41,421 - $51,776.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
July 26, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.