General Maintenance MechanicRequisition Number:
The General Maintenance Mechanic maintains, services, and conducts minor repairs on College buildings and equipment. The General Maintenance Mechanic assists the trade positions within the Facilities department by performing a variety of semiskilled duties in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting, or plastering.
Testing for this Position:
General Maintenance TestSpecific Responsibilities:
• Maintain, service, and conduct minor repairs on College buildings and equipment.
• Assist the trade positions within the Facilities department by performing a variety of semiskilled duties in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting, or plastering.
• Replace burnt out light bulbs and broken light switches in accordance with architectural specifications.
• Replace energized ballasts and lights, both internally and externally, and operate and function from heights up to 60 feet utilizing a ladder, scaffolding, electrical powered lift, and/or electrical powered scissors lift, etc.
• Store used fluorescent lamps and ballasts according to EPA Universal Waste protocol and requirements for disposal by a licensed hauler.
• Replace damaged or missing ceiling and floor tiles.
• Replace and/or repair cove base.
• Repair minor plumbing problems requiring plunging, clearing traps, cleaning faucets, maintaining and clearing roof and roof drains, and/or shutting local valves.
• Hang pictures, whiteboards, chalkboards, and install notice boards.
• Assist in the installation and/or repair interior College signage system.
• Travel to the College’s Regional Centers as needed.
• Assist with snow removal, as needed.
• Perform other maintenance tasks with particular attention to public areas.
• Respond to and complete small maintenance requests from staff located in assigned areas.
• Notify appropriate College personnel when conditions requiring immediate attention by others are observed.
• Observe College safety policies and protocols to ensure the protection and safety of College staff, students, visitors, as well as College property and equipment.
• Advise appropriate staff when the scope of work requires a Maintenance Repair request to be submitted to Facilities Management.
• Perform supplies inventory, prepare inventory report and submit re-order requests to the appropriate office.
• Deliver quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional, helpful and courteous manner.
• Perform other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications:
• High School Diploma, or GED equivalent, and five (5) years of related work experience in electrical, plumbing, and carpentry; or a trade school degree and three (3) years of related work experience in electrical, plumbing, and carpentry required.
• Demonstrated skills craft expertise, including electrical, plumbing, and carpentry.
• Ability to work in varying outdoor weather conditions, as needed, required.
• Ability to use small power tools and hand tools commonly used in maintenance trades required.
• Ability to climb ladders, extension ladders, and work on a scaffold and hydraulic/electrical work platforms required.
• Ability to read and comprehend printed assembly instructions, and operating manuals required.
• Ability to demonstrate initiative, be self-directed and work for periods of time without supervision required.
• Ability to work collaboratively with others is required.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Ability to work evenings and during scheduled College breaks, and weekends, as needed.
• Qualified individuals are required to pass the General Maintenance test administered.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social-economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds required.Preferred Qualifications:
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Testing for this Position:
General Maintenance Test
- Interested persons should complete an online application.
- Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on May 5, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.Salary Grade or Rank:
$17.60 - 22.51Job Posting Open Date:
04/12/2021Type of Position:
ClassifiedEmployment Status :