Assistant Soccer CoachABOUT SMC
Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Assistant Soccer Coach Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
Organizational Responsibilities: The Assistant Coach reports to the Head Coach and to the Athletic Director.
Job Summary: The primary duty of the Assistant Men’s and Women’s Soccer Coach is to assist the Head Coach in all aspects of coaching and instructing team members in the knowledge of the sport. May be responsible for individual student/athlete instruction in a specific area. The Assistant Coach will assist in evaluating and recruiting potential student-athletes.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Recruit and retain student-athletes to fill the team from outside the general student body and meet minimum program numbers as assigned by the Athletic Director.
- Assist the Head Coach in implementing a comprehensive plan for student-athletes to develop their skills through weight training, conditioning, and practice.
- Assist the Head Coach with guiding student-athletes’ academic progress including overseeing study hall and monitoring class attendance.
- Supervise team managers, and college work-study students.
- Oversee workouts in weight room and practice site as directed by the Head Coach.
- Work with head coaches to keep statistics, prepare quotes for marketing department for press release and social media releases associated with men’s soccer.
- Assist graduating student-athletes in transferring on to appropriate four-year institutions.
- Monitor behavior of student-athletes and administer discipline when needed.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of and abide by current NJCAA, and Region X rules and regulations.
- Drive and/or supervise school vehicles for recruiting and team travel.
- Attend all athletic meetings called by the Administration.
- Perform non-coaching duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Coach and Athletic Director.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities: Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively with diverse populations. Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive school vehicles per board policy. Ability to drive up to 12 passenger van. Organizing and coordinating skills. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to work irregular hours including some evenings and weekend. Excellent computer skills. Ability to appropriately exercise independent initiative and judgment. Willingness and ability to work as a member of a team.
Work is performed outdoors. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will work a schedule set by the needs of the position. The coach will be required to travel with the team.
Physical ability to handle bulky or heavy stock items, equipment, and supplies routinely exceeding 50 lbs.
Education and Experience:
HOW TO APPLY:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Successful coaching and playing experience at the collegiate level is preferred.
- USSF or United Soccer Coaching Licenses preferred.
- Experience in goalkeeper-specific training preferred.
- Experience at a community college preferred.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with members of the College community and members of the public.
Please send a letter of interest, resume and list of three (3) references to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to [email protected]
- Application open until filled.
FLSA: Full-time, exempt
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.