Human Capital Management (HCM) Budget AnalystPosition Type:
20171037Full or Part Time:
Full TimeEmployee Status :
07/06/2021Job Description Summary:
The Human Capital Management (HCM) Budget Analyst position resides within the Systems and Data Analytics unit of the Office of Human Resources and serves as a subject matter expert (SME) for the area of position budget reconciliation. The position is a liaison to budget administrators across the university for human capital management activities, to include preparing position control reports, reconciling changes, researching variances, and resolve routine to complex budget matters. Responsibilities:
The HCM Budget Analyst works closely with internal HR teams such as Talent Acquisitions, Compensation, and HRIS to administer human capital management from beginning to end. Responsibilities include requesting new position numbers and tracking their changes; obtaining financial and human capital data from different enterprise systems to balance the budgets and positions; working on data cleaning, reporting, analysis, and visualization projects; verifying data for surveys and compensation studies; participating in system activities relating to integrating position control and finance data and other HCM related duties. The position reports to the Assistant Vice President of Data Analytics and HR Systems.
- Serves as a primary contact for human capital budget management. Works with budget administrators and internal HR teams to manage position controls for budgeted positions. Provides guidance and support to budget administrators and internal HR colleagues with questions and/or concerns regarding position budget, numbers, and other characteristics.
- Prepares position control reports, reconciles changes, research variances, and resolves routine to complex budget matters.
- Works closely with Talent Acquisitions and Compensation team to confirm available budgeted salaries and/or FTEs for active recruitments, offers, and position changes. Updates position controls when changes are made and review available funding with Compensation team and/or budget administrators as needed. In the future when Commitment Control is integrated to PeopleSoft HCM, updates will be made within the enterprise system.
- Collaborates with Compensation team to obtain appropriate position characteristics, such as job codes, FLSA status, full/part-time, regular or limited term status, workers’ compensation codes, salary plans, classifications, etc. for new positions and for reclassifications.
- Obtains HCM and finance reports from different enterprise systems to balance the budgets and positions
- Performs regular data audits and provides recommendations on appropriate position characteristic changes to ensure consistency and accuracy across similar positions within a job family, as well as maintaining a current list of active positions.
This position also provides analytical services and technical support for data reporting, analyses, and visualization projects.
- Coordinates with HR Systems to gather, link, and verify data from various sources to respond to survey and reporting requests, including but not limited to Affirmative Action Plan (AAP), compensation studies and surveys, service award eligibility list, etc.
- Provides support to HR Systems in writing and editing queries for data requests, in maintaining data integrity, and in integrating position control and finance data.
- Works with AVP on data and trend analyses and visualization projects. Assists in reviewing access request for dashboards based on position responsibilities.
- Provides backup to HR systems and data analytics as needed.
This position will be housed in the Office of Human Resources until the completion of PeopleSoft HCM and PeopleSoft Finance integration with Commitment Accounting functionalities. Upon completion, the position will be moved to the Budget Office.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Human Resources or similar concentrations, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- A minimum of five years progressive work experience in budget analyses, reconciliation, and management.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge of human capital management.
- General knowledge of human resources, particularly in compensation, classification, talent acquisitions, and similar areas.
- Experience in working with diverse constituents in explaining and resolving budget concerns within policies
- Knowledge of general accounting concepts.
- Strong attention to detail, with proven ability to ensure data integrity and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines. Strong communication skills
- Strong analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations as well as effective written and verbal communication skills to convey findings and recommendations clearly and concisely; demonstrated verbal communications skills to provide complex information to persons of varying backgrounds and levels of authority.
- Demonstrated experience with developing solutions for human capital management.
- Proven interpersonal skills and customer service orientation. Ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and management to influence outcomes while acting in an advisor capacity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain and resolve budget concerns.
- Ability to learn and apply wage and hour laws, and other laws and regulations as needed for understanding position characteristics.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments to accommodate varied workload deadlines and conflicting requests.
- Ability to work independently and exercise initiative, discretion, and good judgement.
- Demonstrated experience working as part of a team on various projects. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with client groups and other areas of human resources and complete multiple assignments on time.
- Skill to develop presentations and/or conduct training for staff, supervisors, and managers.
- Skill and experience to provide consultation on human capital budget management to a wide range of clients in a diplomatic and confidential manner.
- Demonstrated experience/skill to research and analyze complex and varied data, analyze alternatives, and make effective recommendations.
- Experience and strong technical skills to learn and use different enterprise systems for obtaining data, data visualization, and analytics.
- Demonstrated skill to work with a variety of computer software including Microsoft Office Suite apps, database, HRIS systems, electronic mail, etc.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, including pivot tables, lookup tables, and working with complex calculations.
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge of university policies and procedures as well as Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Skill to work in a fast-paced, high volume and frequently changing environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Experience managing budgets for restricted funds
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University can be found at www.chapman.edu/diversity. Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and Administrator positions for work visas. The offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion and outcomes of a criminal background screening and returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.