Graduate Assistant Posted July 12, 2021 · Add Comment
Barton College is accepting applications for a Graduate Assistant, a part-time staff position. The Graduate Assistant (GA) for Academic and Career Planning focuses on individual student interaction and implementation of programs targeting academically at-risk students. The GA should become familiar with Barton College general education requirements, academic planning resources, and academic policies in order to help guide students toward academic improvement and graduation; and plan and deliver group sessions, workshops, and campus events related to academic and career planning.
- Advise students on academic and financial aid warning; develop academic improvement plans.
- Conduct follow ups and design student interventions for CARE reports (early alerts).
- Serve as an academic coach for selected student groups, including student-athletes and students enrolled in the Fresh Start Program (GPA < 2.0).
- Meet individually with students on topics related to academic and career planning.
- Offer academic or career planning group sessions or workshops.
- Assist in planning and delivery of major exploration and career-planning resources and programs.
- Receive structured supervision (1 hour per week) from Assistant Provost for Academic and Career Planning or other qualified staff.
- Represent the Office of Academic and Career Planning as needed at College events such as Open House or Orientation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
- Enrolled in a graduate program related to the work of the Office of Academic and Career Planning.
- Possess skills to communicate effectively in person, by phone, or via electronic media with students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to organize and manage student programs and events.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and presentation skills.
- Excellent technology and computer skills.
Please submit a current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at the email indicated in this posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or [email protected].