Job no: 509174
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury
Department: PO - Mgmt & Fiscal Affairs
Categories: Business & Financial Services
Advertised: Jul 12 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Aug 02 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
The Analyst for the UMass President’s Office Budget Department is generally responsible for the collection, organization, analysis, and reporting of University data in support of the Budget Department. Analysts are responsible for: learning the University’s policies and guidelines; collaborating with system office departments and campus staff to collect data, analyze for accuracy, develop follow-up and prepare reports; working to provide independent analysis of data and identifying data points that support such analysis; developing materials for meetings, including Board of Trustee presentations; working collaboratively within the departments within the President’s Office as well as with campuses.
Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President for Budget & Planning, the Budget Analyst is responsible for the following functions, although other duties and projects may be assigned from time to time:
- Learning the University’s policies, guidelines and various information technology systems that house data
- Working with colleagues in the system office and on campuses to support preparation of Annual Operating Budget, Five-Year Financial Forecast, Quarterly Budget Projection Report, and Capital Reporting including the development of data requests and templates, compilation and analysis of campus information, trend analysis and research on historical and peer experience.
- Assisting in the research, development and analysis of budget or other financial proposals initiatives or policies, including relevant data and impact on the campuses, system office, Board, legislature, executive office or other state agencies or the federal government.
- Completing independent analysis of data and identifying data points and trends that support such analysis
- Collaborating within A&F and with other President’s Office departments to identify data needs
- Conducting research as needed to assess peer information and best practices.
- Making recommendations for decisions and solving problems – analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution to solve problems
- Assisting in developing and maintaining reports, presentations, and other documents and material
- Building strong relationships and work collaboratively with campus stakeholders
- Communicating with supervisors and peers – providing information to supervisors, co-workers and subordinate by telephone, in written form, email or in-person
- Participating in appropriate trainings
- Support other projects and initiatives of the President’s Office as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree required
- One to three years’ work experience in related field
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, analytical, critical thinking, presentation, written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented with a healthy respect for quality work products and timelines
- Strong organization and communication skills.
- Experience working with diverse groups
- Strong problem solving and project management skills while having the ability to manage changing/multiple priorities in a highly interactive and confidential environment.
- Expertise with analytical tools such as MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable learning new systems such as budget applications and financial systems.
- Must be able to interact effectively within a team environment and independently, requiring little supervision on all but unique matters.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Experience in higher education or government/public sector setting
- Must be able to travel occasionally to all UMass campuses and the Boston central office.
- Typical office environment.
- May require occasional hours on nights and weekends.
Salary up to $65,000