Job location: Remote Employment Type:
Part-time Posted data:
R0006390 Job Description:
CIMHS Adjunct Faculty/Writing Specialist Position
Saybrook University is seeking an adjunct faculty member to join the College of Integrative Medicine and Health Sciences to assess academic writing samples submitted by applicants for CIMHS degree programs. The individual will serve as adjunct instructor and may engage in teaching in the areas of academic writing and research skills.
Under the direction of the Dean of CIMHS, the faculty member will conduct regular and timely reviews of writing samples and will provide instruction as assigned.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsive and timely communication with department administration, faculty, and students.
- Complete reviews of the writing samples submitted by applicants to the College of Integrative Medicine and Health Sciences and provide written assessments of each applicants’ writing strengths and problems. Each writing sample is reviewed for writing ability, and also assessed through Turn-it-In software for possible plagiarism. The reviews are time critical and are ordinarily completed within a 48 to 72-hour time frame after submission.
- Present courses, workshops and/or course introductions at residential conferences (when assigned)
- Attend occasional meetings (Faculty, Program, College, University) and Faculty trainings which could include Canvas, IRB, student record system, etc.
- Mentoring Students
- Actively support the socialization of students into the CIMHS degree program and profession
- Instruction, Course Development and Syllabus Review/Updating
- Deliver high quality innovative campus and/or on-line courses that foster critical thinking
- Ensure rigorous academic standards and quality aligned with program goals
- Coordinate course offerings and catalog documentation
- Design dynamic courses including syllabi and canvas platform-based materials utilizing the latest developments and trends in classroom instruction and digital technology
- Adjunct faculty may occasionally be contracted for governance activities
- Maintain effective professional and community involvement and/or affiliations as ambassador for the university
All faculty members at Saybrook University are expected to be available and responsive to students. Faculty engagement expectations include:
- Faculty will make contact with students enrolled in their course within the first week of the new semester and before the residential or educational conference.
- Faculty will respond to emails or phone calls and acknowledge received assignments within two business days.
- For courses with weekly discussions, faculty will be in contact with students at least three times per week for online courses to provide substantive contributions and respond to student posts. This will include engagement across the duration of the weekly discussions.
- For individually mentored courses, faculty will schedule with each student regular online and off-line communication.
- For other course designs, faculty will demonstrate how they are engaging students in a consistent and meaningful way across the semester or term.
- Faculty will return student papers with feedback for course assignments submitted through Canvas within the following guidelines:
- 1 week for work less than 5 pages in length,
- 2 weeks for work up to 25 pages in length,
- 3 weeks for work 26-50 pages in length (and for final thesis/project),
- 4 weeks for work over 50 pages in length (applies to dissertation only).
- Masters or doctorate in library, academic or professional writing, research skills, or closely related field from a regionally-accredited institution
- Demonstrated Expertise and experience in teaching, coaching, or reviewing academic writing
- Training, experience and or certification in writing skills, the use of library databases, and critical evaluation of publications
- Demonstrated scholarship and/or accomplishments in the field
- Relevant supervision and teaching experience at the masters or doctoral level.
- Commitment to multicultural and humanistic principles
- Experience with ethnically diverse and/or other special populations
- Some travel may be required
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University
- Committed to excellence in teaching, practice, and research (experiences with on-line instruction is desirable)
- Able to offer on-line instruction regarding topics and skills within his/her areas of expertise.
- Creates a sense of unity and common purpose and manages change effectively
- Ability to build teams and effective working relationships
- Promotes interdisciplinary work within and beyond the Department
- Thinks strategically and works collaboratively
- Affectively honest and open, with a high level of personal integrity
- Communicates effectively
- Consults with colleagues at all levels
- Well organized and able to meet complex workload demands
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and multiculturalism in education and faculty employment.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Saybrook University:
Saybrook University was founded over 40 years ago by some of the greatest minds of the 20th century and continues to inspire a new generation of innovators. A non-profit regionally accredited university known for its commitment to humanistic studies and rigorous research, Saybrook University’s academic model puts the student at the center of everything we do to provide a unique, transformational, learning experience. Saybrook offers advanced degrees in management, organizational systems, psychology, mind-body medicine, integrative functional nutrition, coaching, counseling, and transformative social change all in flexible learning formats to help students continue to be active contributors to the fields they work in while they advance their education. Saybrook University is proud to be a community of creative, compassionate innovators dedicated to pursing new ways of thinking and doing for our professions, organizations, and communities.
For more information, visit www.saybrook.edu.
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.