Retail Food Service Worker - Frist Campus Center
Part-Time# of Openings:
Food Services and Dining
Campus Dining is committed to the success of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors by nourishing them to be their healthy best while caring for the environment. If you are a chef by profession, love to mentor and teach, are a student at heart, and believe that community engagement happens around food, we’d love to hear from you! We welcome team members who share our passion for serving and caring for our community through exceptional dining experiences. In collaboration with our campus partners, we craft culinary programs that deliver unique memorable experiences. Campus Dining brings together expertise in culinary, wellness, sustainability, procurement and hospitality to develop innovative programs in support of our diverse community. Our award winning food program is based on scientific and evidence-based principles of healthy sustainable menus that are prepared by our culinary team with high-quality ingredients. We invite you to be part of our dynamic culinary team, grow as an individual and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything. The Retail Food Service Worker provides customer service within the parameters of departmental standards with regard for speed of service and customer satisfaction. S/he will be responsible for all levels of customer service, prepares the food requirements of an established menu with concern for quality, appeal, presentation, sanitation, safety, and cost. Responsible for maintaining the kitchen and stations in a clean, safe and orderly fashion. Responsibilities
- Prepares food items for the menu in accordance with the established portion sizes, quality, and taste as designed.
- Prepares items as requested by customers.
- Maintains the kitchen, kitchen equipment, food court and related areas in a safe and sanitary condition at all times. Corrects or reports any sanitation hazards.
- Operate cash register, POS terminal, or card reader accurately according to departmental procedures.
- Adheres to the policy of “clean as you go.” Assists in the daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Maintains the storage areas, utilizing proper storage techniques, including enforcing a FIFO (first in/first out) policy for all foodstuffs.
- Is familiar with all food preparation procedures as assigned.
- Maintains and enforces the established energy conservation techniques and guidelines.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the Department of Dining Services and Princeton University.
- Assists with production, service, and clean up of special functions on and off campus.
- May perform the duties of a storekeeper or food-service worker
- Performs other tasks as directed by University management.
- A high school diploma, GED, or completion of the Excelling at Princeton Program and one year relevant experience; OR five years relevant experience preferably in a collegiate dining environment.
- One year’s experience as a food service worker or equivalent in culinary training.
- Knowledge of New Jersey State Health Department rules and regulations.
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Prior dependable work record.
- Valid driver's license preferred.
Work Schedule Requirements/Information
- This is an AYE (19 pay), 50% duty time (20hr), Retail Food Service Worker position.
- Flexibility, early mornings, late nights, weekends, holidays and work outside the unit may be required.
- The schedule may be changed due to business needs.
- This is an essential personnel position
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to take direction and work with others. Skill with customer service and relations.
- Must have the ability to coordinate tasks to meet production deadlines. Must be flexible in handling multiple assignments and ability to work in multiple venues.
- Must be able to work rapidly and efficiently during rush periods.
- Must be able to work with a variety of kitchen and service equipment including charbroilers, steam jacket kettles, pressure steamers, ovens, broilers, woks, induction ranges, grills, Panini grills, slicers, choppers, mixers, blenders, frozen dessert machines, various hot and cold beverage dispensers, coffee brewers, espresso/cappuccino machines, steamer/oven, card reader, and various hand tools.
- Must have knowledge of food preparation for a full range of cold foods including salads, fruits and vegetables, deli meats, desserts, and accompaniments; and hot food production including steaming, grilling, frying, baking, pizza making, and dough mixing.
- Must have knowledge of customer service standards.
- Skill in presenting and garnishing food.
Essential Job Functions
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day
- Sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day, except for cashiers and card checkers who may sit for 2 – 4 hours at one time for a total of 4 – 6 hours per day;
- Drive for no more than 30 minutes at one time;
- Lift or carry up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead frequently (34 – 66% of the workday);
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to chest height occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- Use arms and hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling with forces up to 5 pounds continuously (67 – 100% of the workday) and up to 30 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday);
- Bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day);
- Work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc);
- Possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW