University Information Services (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.The Production Support Team Lead utilizes computer software and hardware to meet customer computer needs by performing batch production for the systems supported by UIS. This position supports the education and training of customers in data processing and will lead the coaching and mentoring of other Production Support team members, including the successful onboarding of any new employees on the team. This position also requires the ability to perform the tasks and duties of the Assistant Director when they are unavailable. The Production Services department is fully remote with all team members working from home on a regular basis. This position is Essential Services. Positions falling into Essential Services are required to work their normal hours even when the office is closed during a normal or holiday week.This position reports to the Assistant Director of Production Services and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.Duties and Responsibilities Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to: Primary Responsibilities:
- Determines the sequence of jobs and priority across the University’s Student System, Financial System, and Human Capital Management to optimize batch processing to ensure service level agreement (SLA) and operating level agreement (OLA) deadlines are met which include:
- Resolve daily issues
- Build new processes as requested using Automic scripting
- File transfers
- Monitoring processing
- Data security
- Maintaining all aspects of a production environment
- Manages daily schedule of flow and how they affect other batch processing within other systems
- Prioritizes tasks to maximize required resources necessary for batch streams to ensure high-availability and stability of production environments to maintain consistent and real-time batch processing as required by the customers
- Troubleshoots technical production issues that affect batch processing to ensure disruptions are minimal to prevent data processing delays.
- Collaborates with development teams to support their work efforts by creating and testing efficient batch jobs and flows following best practices to ensure data integrity
- Evaluates and determines time of production job streams as they relate to concurrent on-line use of Student Systems, ensuring data and reports will be delivered on time as required by customers and users
- Analyzes job abends and Automic scheduling problems to maintain batch schedules to meet SLA and OLA deadlines
- Ensures customer requests are completed accurately and on time, while making efficient use of available resources to provide prompt, reliable and quality service, including project and initiative tasks.
- Ensures user requirements are complete by understanding system interdependencies in order to plan processing needs in a timely manner
- Assists with vendor management where vendors require batch scheduling processes, such as:
- Administrator duties on file transfer server
- Setting up key pair assignments
- Creating new users
- Authentication password management
- File retention
- User ID maintenance
- Root cause analysis
- Recovery of failed vendor transfers
- Assists in migrations for all Enterprise Systems that moves code through an auditable environment chain
- Acts as a subject matter expert in Automic batch scheduler and file transfers
- Trains, guides, and supports less experienced team members and users on Automic batch scheduler and file transfer server to include technical scripting, modifying parameters through scripting, and Linux commands
- Develops thorough documentation for systems, processes, and procedures that properly inform, demonstrate and/or teach team members all aspects related to batch processes and batch processing applications.
- Provides continuous improvement of existing processes and utilize best practices when implementing new batch process workflows, including but not limited to the AUTO-RC email service, which includes writing process scripts to parse files uploaded through the service
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Creates and tests job plans in Automic to ensure best practices are used
- Participates in an on-call rotation for weekend and night coverage of all systems when abends or other problems occur to ensure 24/5, off hour, weekend, and holiday coverage to support the business and student systems
- Determines and directs proper corrective actions as it relates to processing issues through escalation procedures and channels, then determines, documents, and performs root cause analysis
- Performs administrator duties on Automic batch scheduler including:
- Setting up new users
- Patching of automation engine
- Recovery tasks during outages
- Configuration of automation agents
- Configuration of automation engine
- Configuration of the AUTO-RC email service
- Follows change control processes to properly document and track all production changes
Enhances existing and creates new processes and procedures to change or improve efficiencies in the departmentApplications/ToolsUsed:
- Automic Workload Manager (One Automation)
- Google Voice
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams)
- Team Dynamics
- People Tools Application Designer
- CUtransfer (sftp server)
Who we are:
- Automic Workload Manager (One Automation), CUtransfer (sftp server)
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position has the ability to work remotely. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses, but System Administration is not considered a campus. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty. Learn more about CU System Administration
.The University of Colorado has been proactive in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. You can visit our COVID-19 webpage
for more information.What we offer:Salary
: The anticipated hiring salary range has been established at $55,600 - $72,403.The market salary range for this position is $55,600 - $76,500.The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or anticipated hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator
to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.Additional taxable fringe benefits may be available.More information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/
.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of data processing and batch production processes.
- Knowledge of IT policies and best practices.
- Ability to lead teams of individuals and provide support to their specific roles.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule – including off hours, weekend and holiday on-call hours
- Ability to work independently and directly as a team member with other Production support and other IT departments.
- Ability to self-start and be self-driven.
- Ability to prioritize work tasks and projects while ensuring that deliverables are complete and on time.
- Ability to articulate clearly via email and phone conversations.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve sometimes complex or misleading issues.
- Knowledge of incident response and handling methodologies
- Ability to deliver a high level of commitment to customer service
- Ability to respond to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to present oneself professionally in appearance, demeanor, and effort
- Ability to effectively collaborate with team members in-person and remotely
- Knowledge of cybersecurity and privacy principles and best practices
- Knowledge of common computer operating systems
- Knowledge of computer networking fundamentals
- Technical computer skills, including the ability to assess complex data, utilize common operating systems, learn new software programs, and understand programming languages
- Computer programming skills, including the ability to evaluate and solve problems, stay organized, be cognizant of and address details, and utilize common programming languages (e.g. SQL, Java, C++, Python, etc.)
- Ability to collect and document business needs and translate the information collected into technical specifications
- Ability to write technical documentation and specifications with the intention that it be easily understandable to the target audience
- Ability to translate and explain technical concepts and vocabulary in common terms to non-technical audiences
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies
- Ability to prepare reports and briefings that can be understood by a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to identify security risks and how they impact the organization
- Bachelor’s degree from and accredited institution of higher education, or equivalent professional experience (professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis)
- Four (4) years’ equivalent experience, including:
- Experience running batch processes in Automic
- Experience using Linux, to include password resets, key pair authentication, and scripting
- Seven (7) years’ equivalent experience, as previously described.
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- Automic Workload Manager Basics
- Leadership experience
- Automic Workload Manager and Administrator certification.
Information TechnologyPrimary Location:
Jul 9, 2021Unposting Date: