Job DescriptionExecutive Director, Clinical Genomics Laboratory The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute for Genome Sciences (IGS)
is currently recruiting for an Executive Director, Clinical Genomics Laboratory
for its CLIA accredited Maryland Genomics laboratory. The Executive Director will work with the Maryland Genomics Directors and IGS Directors to define ad develop clinical genomics assays and integrate these assays into the current high-throughput genomics laboratory and informatics pipelines. The Executive Director will serve as a Liaison between Maryland Genomics and the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) and other clients, and coordinate marketing of clinical assays to prospective clients. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the Quality Assurance Manager to ensure regulatory compliance, review of data and sign-out of reports, development and validation of new molecular assays and support of existing assays. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Directs the development and implementation of procedures, protocols, and processes for the Maryland Genomics laboratory and related business operations.
- Responsible for strategic and operational planning of the Maryland Genomics laboratory.
- Works collaboratively with faculty members and outside collaborators to determine project requirements, priorities, and schedules; facilitates communication between staff and faculty.
- In consultation with the other Maryland Genomics Executive Directors, establishes short-term and long-term goals for the Maryland Genomics laboratory based on project demand.
- Develop and implement clinical genomics assays within Maryland Genomics.
- Establish and maintain clinical genomics market and business opportunities; set laboratory business priorities in consultation with IGS and Maryland Genomics Directors.
- Develop, oversee, and enhance client portfolio and drive clinical assay utilization.
- With IGS and Maryland Genomics Directors, set and oversee laboratory budget.
- In consultation with Maryland Genomics Administrative Executive Director, establishes department staffing needs and recruits new employees; manages and supervises staff to provide guidance and counseling for effective employee relations including performance appraisals, regular performance feedback and direction.
- Represent clinical genomics services to prospective clients, both within and outside the organization.
- Manage clinical laboratory QA/QC and staff training.
- Review and sign-out clinical assay reports.
Contribute to the development of LIMS/LIS systems and data analysis protocols
Develop collaborations and expand funding for clinical genomics research activities within Maryland Genomics.
Perform other duties as assigned.
PhD or MD as required to serve as by Laboratory Director per College of American Pathologists (CAP). Experience:
Ten (10) years of research experience working with molecular tests in a high-complexity clinical laboratory including clinical laboratory assay development and QA/QC oversight. Experience focused on next-generation sequencing based testing is preferred. Supervisory Experience:
Ten (10) years of direct management experience. Certification/Licensure:
Possess the necessary credentials to serve as Director of a CAP-accredited high complexity testing laboratory. If PhD, the candidate must be board certified or eligible to be certified in Molecular Genetic Pathology, Molecular Genetics and Genomics, or Laboratory Genetics and Genomics. Other:
No substitution of experience for minimum education requirement.
Financial Disclosure required by Maryland State Ethics Commission Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJ[email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Institute of Genome SciencesJob Posting:
Jul 6, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 20, 2021, 10:59:00 PM