SECURITY ANALYST II, IS&T Information Security Tracking Code5725 Job Description
Security Operations Center (SOC) Analysts are responsible for preventing, detecting, and responding to cybersecurity events at the university. This position is responsible for monitoring assigned regulatory and detection tools, evaluating and investigating reports of account, computer, or system compromise, analyzing anomalies in network and computer behavior, and supporting forensic efforts of senior members of the team. This position will conduct investigations and support investigations led by Human Resources, General Counsel, and the BU Police Department. The position takes part in a duty cycle, monitoring tools on a daily basis, and provides 24x7 availability to respond to security events when required.
- Participates in cyber incident response services. These services include research, development, documentation, maintenance, and use of technologies and procedures designed to facilitate an efficient and timely response to a wide variety of cyber attacks and incidents; conducting analysis of network and system log files, computer and mobile device forensics, and other activities to determine the facts of an event. Follows defined procedures and works with management to determine when deviation from the procedure is warranted. Develops expertise on a wide variety of security tools, operating systems, and networked devices to support efforts to determine the root cause of compromise and identify the potential for exposure of protected data. (60%)
- Assists with integrating new and existing technologies to provide enhanced capabilities and efficiencies. Helps maintain and enhances existing code repositories to fix defects and provide new functionality or compatibility. (15%)
- Assists the Vulnerability Program Manager with reducing the risk exposure of university assets by assisting with designated vulnerability identifications, notification and, remediation activities. (15%)
- Monitors appropriate sources of news and security information for new information on threats to information systems, applicable laws and regulations, and best practices. Build a deep technical understanding of security issues for technologies in place at Boston University and assist with the development of security standards, requirements, and specifications. Obtain relevant training, memberships, and certifications with the support of management. (10%)
- Plans organize and execute small events and activities to increase security awareness. This includes the development of security guidelines, recommendations, awareness, and training material, providing such material to others in need, giving presentations and training, and assisting clients with security concerns. Ensures proper escalation of concerns that cannot be answered directly.
- Authors, edits, contributes, or provides input into the above as a Subject Matter Expert; may have a broad impact on IS&T or the University. May involve researching the subject area, collecting and reviewing policies and best practices from peer institutions or industry, reviewing national and international standards.
- Seasoned cybersecurity professional with relevant digital forensics and incident response experience.
- Applicant should have at least three to seven years of work experience in UNIX or Linux operating systems, and Windows operating systems.
- Competent in one or more programming languages such as C, PERL, Python, or PHP, SQL including database integration. CISSP, CISM, SSCP, SANS GCIH and/or GCFA, or other information security certification is preferred. Must be detail-oriented with a strong work ethic and strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- This position may require work of extended hours from time to time and requires accessibility for emergency response 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Due to the incident response duties assigned to this position, the role has exceptionally high requirements for the ability to handle confidential matters with discretion.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens and will be required to pass a criminal background check.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location BOSTON, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular