Public Safety Officer II, Short-term Temporary Hourly Assignment, as needed
Kern Community College District
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Short-term Temporary Hourly
$21.34 per hour
Flexible, as needed
This position is not eligible for benefits.
This is for an applicant pool that will be used to staff short-term temporary hourly positions during the year.BASIC FUNCTION:
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, maintain a safe environment for students, staff and faculty; enforce District rules and regulations; may engage in the protection of persons or property or unlawful taking of district property; secure buildings on the college campus property; provide
information and assistance to students, staff, faculty and campus visitors.REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
Patrol campus and enforce campus regulations; investigate incidents; issue parking citations and
eject persons from campus according to Department policies and procedures. E
Secure buildings; lock doors and turn out lights; record monthly activity reports. E
Act as safety resource officer; investigate and report health and safety hazards; notify departments
regarding defective equipment; notify authorized personnel regarding hazardous materials; perform
audits of safety practices and procedures; encourage adherence to safety standards; perform followup investigations of reported hazards for compliance with recommended actions.
Patrol parking lots, bicycle areas and campus interior to protect students, staff and faculty and prevent theft and vandalism.
Maintain parking permits in dispensers and collect money from traffic permit dispensers of all parking lots; count and balance traffic permit money and place in office safe each night; make bank deposits or transfer money to the appropriate office as required.
Supervise a shift of other Public Safety staff; may provide orientation to staff on Public Safety functions, as assigned.
Prepare a variety of incident reports including non-injury traffic accidents, interior losses, and harassment reports; appear and testify in court as needed.
Escort students, staff and faculty to their vehicles as a safety precaution as requested; escort staff to safety after special events.
Respond to emergency medical situations including illnesses, shock, seizures and bleeding; summon appropriate medical personnel.
Evacuate classrooms and buildings in emergency situations as necessary including emergencies involving medical situations, hazardous materials and natural disasters.
Prevent entry and investigate presence of unauthorized persons on grounds or in buildings.
Answer questions and provide information to faculty, staff, students and the public; investigate complaints; take action within policy guidelines to resolve complaints.
Investigate and report fire hazards; extinguish small blazes; report fires to the fire department.
Recognize hazardous material incidents; isolate, deny entry and notify appropriate authorities.
Assist students, staff and faculty who have disabled vehicles.
Transport monies as requested.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school AND
one year of experience in a security setting. Additional specialized training in police science, public administration or a related field is desirable.LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proof of completion of School Security Course certification.
- Possession of current Guard Card.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid CPR and First Aid certificates.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment physical assessment.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment drug testing.
- California Vehicle Code, Penal Code, laws of arrest, search and seizure, education code, health and
safety codes, municipal laws and codes, and campus regulations.
- District policies and campus regulations and procedures.
- Modern equipment and protective gear.
- Procedures of crowd control and emergency evacuation.
- Principles and practices of legal proceedings and legal testimony.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping and report preparation.
- Learn and apply pertinent provisions of the State Penal Code, Vehicle Code and Education Code.
- Operate a patrol vehicle and patrol equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Conduct an investigation according to District policy.
- Patrol effectively.
- Detect, prevent and report criminal activity.
- Encourage adherence to safety standards.
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
- Completed application packet must include:*
- Completed Online Classified Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Copy of required licenses (Guard Card and Security Guard SB1626)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
*NOTE: If you list a degree on your application, you must attach a copy of those transcripts.
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/14313
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency