Custodian I, Substitute and Short-term Temporary Hourly Pool, as needed
Kern Community College District
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Short-term Temporary Hourly
$14.00 per hour
Flexible, as needed
This position is not eligible for benefits.
This is for an applicant pool that will be used to staff short-term temporary hourly positions during the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic year.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform routine day or evening custodial activities at an assigned school campus or other assigned District facility; maintain buildings and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS:
Incumbents in the Custodian I classification perform a variety of routine custodial duties in maintenance of an assigned school campus or other assigned District facilities in a safe, clean and sanitary condition. Incumbents in the Custodian II classification regularly perform a variety of more complex work assignments and may be assigned lead responsibilities over other custodial personnel in the absence of the supervisor.REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school campus or District facility during a day or evening shift; sweep, scrub, mop, wax and polish floors; vacuum rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices and other areas; spot clean and shampoo carpets.
Clean classrooms, lounges, offices and other facilities as assigned; empty waste receptacles; spot mop and shampoo spills; remove gum, debris and graffiti as needed.
Clean and disinfect drinking fountains and restroom facilities including sinks, toilets and urinals; replenish dispensers with towels, soap, toilet paper and other items; clean mirrors, tile and windows.
Replace light bulbs and tubes; clean chalkboards and erasers; empty pencil sharpeners.
Dust and polish furniture, fixtures and woodwork; perform minor repairs to furniture as needed.
Lock and unlock doors and gates as appropriate; maintain security of assigned areas according to established guidelines; set and disengage alarms as appropriate.
Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards to appropriate authority; report need for maintenance repairs; respond to emergency custodial requests as needed.
Move and arrange furniture and equipment; prepare classrooms, gym and multi-purpose rooms for special events or meetings; set-up chairs, tables, bleachers and other furniture and equipment for special events or meetings; clean up furniture equipment and debris following these events.
Operate custodial equipment such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber machines, blowers and other equipment.
Participate in the thorough cleaning and restoration of campus facilities during vacation periods as assigned.
Perform related duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: at least six months related experience.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proper methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in modern custodial work.
- Modern cleaning methods including basic methods of cleaning floors, blackboards, carpets, furniture, walls and fixtures.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Requirements of maintaining District buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Proper lifting techniques.
Working Conditions: Environment
- Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or other District facility.
- Maintain District buildings and adjacent grounds in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
- Use cleaning materials and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operate a variety of custodial equipment, such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber.
- Maintain tools and equipment in clean working order.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment for meetings and special events.
- Observe and report safety hazards and need for maintenance and repair.
- Perform minor non-technical repairs.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Meet the essential physical function of this job which is the ability to lift at least 75 pounds.
- Successful completion of a fitness for duty physical including drug screen.
- Indoor and outdoor work environment. Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.Physical demands
- Incorporated within one or more of the previously mentioned essential functions of this job description are essential physical requirements.Hazards
- Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals. Working on ladders.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.Completed application packet must include:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/14497
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency