Postdoctoral Fellow Location:
Augusta University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Required Qualifications M.D., Ph.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Ability to maintain confidentiality
Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
Ability to work independently, complete work and meet deadlines
Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases or willingness to learn
Detail-oriented with strong organizational, prioritization, multi-tasking and presentation skills
Highly motivated and committed to achieving excellence in the form of productivity, publications and grant writingPreferred Qualifications Molecular biology experience and/or slice electrophysiology experience, is required. Expertise in patch-clamp electrophysiology is preferred. Willingness to learn stereotaxic surgery, patch clamp electrophysiology and live fluorescence imaging.Responsibilities A position is available immediately to investigate the cellular and molecular mechanisms and neural circuits underlying cognitive impairment (Alzheimer's disease and brain aging related) and epilepsy disorders including epileptic encephalopathies. Candidates should have MD or PhD or equivalent degree in life sciences and be self-motivated for high-quality research. Background in neuroscience, electrophysiology, molecular and cellular biology, animal surgery and sufficient experience in brain and molecular imaging is ideal. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in project planning and development of research protocols while insuring adherence to accepted scientific research principles and compliance with relevant federal guidelines. Perform a variety of experimental studies including animal behavior, cell biology and molecular biology experiments. Experiments may include but not be limited to performing animal surgery, microinjection, behavioral testing, genotyping, western blot, real-time PCR, immunohistochemistry and various microscopy and imaging techniques. Analyze results of experiments and procedures using manual or computer techniques and, if necessary, develop special computer programs to facilitate analysis.
- Compose articles for publication in scientific journals; review articles prepared by others.
- Coordinate and participate in research of scientific literature; summarize and evaluate findings; develop derivative applications of techniques developed by own research activities or reported by other research projects. Presents findings at scientific meetings locally, nationally and internationally.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of students, graduate assistants and other research personnel engaged in research activities and/or related laboratory work. Advise principal investigators, other postdocs, students and other research personnel on research techniques procedures and other technological aspects of research activities.
- Operate microscopes, computer-linked analytical equipment, dedicated computers and other complex scientific equipment; instruct others in operation of equipment.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Shift/Salary Shift: Days/M-F; Work outside of the normal business hours may be required. Salary: $36,197/Annually
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: Until FilledConditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.
All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during the course of their employment and beyond.Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.Credit Check This position will require the acquisition of a P-Card and/or handle cash, credit or other sensitive information and will require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check as a condition of employment.Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.