Founded in 1897, the University of Denver Sturm College of Law is a Top 75 law school and a national leader in experiential legal education. A cornerstone of the law schools experiential learning program is its innovative, nationally recognized, and highly popular Externship Program, which provides students with hands-on experience in a variety of non-profit, governmental, and for-profit practice settings. Located in one of the nations most dynamic and beautiful cities, the Sturm College of Law features an outstanding and diverse student body, a faculty of outstanding scholar-teachers, a highly expert and collaborative staff, and roughly 17,000 alumni who have achieved careers of distinction in law, business, government, public interest, and other professional domains. The founder of the American clinical legal education movement and a recognized trailblazer in diversifying the U.S. legal profession, the Sturm College of Law has a long-standing commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
We seek to hire one or more part-time visiting faculty members to teach in our nationally recognized Externship Program as Visiting Assistant Professor(s) of the Practice of Law, beginning in August 2021. The initial term of this salaried, benefited appointment is one year, with potential renewability for up to two additional years. In collaboration with the Director of the Externship Program, faculty members will assist students in selecting externship opportunities that advance their professional objectives, engage with employers regarding programmatic expectations, and advise students on ways to navigate their workplaces, strengthen their professional capacities, and beneficially shape their professional identities and ethical orientations.
- Advise students in identifying and selecting externship placements that advance their professional goals.
- Lead and foster professional self-reflection by students, in both individual and group settings.
- Assist students in navigating professional matters arising in the workplace, including ethical issues.
- Engage with employers regarding programmatic expectations, including workloads, training programs, and student evaluations.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff members in the Externship Program to advance programmatic goals.
- Work with the Office of Career and Professional Development to expand externship opportunities and leverage their postgraduate potential.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Membership in the bar of any U.S. jurisdiction.
- Three years of post-JD legal work.
- An understanding of legal practice across a variety of settings.
- Admission to the Colorado bar or ability to gain admission.
- Experience mentoring, supervising, or teaching law students and/or early-career lawyers.
- Familiarity with the legal communities of the city of Denver and the state of Colorado.
- Experience with legal pedagogy Application.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by July 21, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is UC.
The salary range for this position is $37,500 - $42,500.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidates sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.