Chief Information Officer Location:
Wheaton, ILJob Id:
684 # of Openings:
1 Chief Information Officer Job Overview
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) will provide vision, leadership and innovation in developing College-wide strategies for leveraging the potential of technology in advancing Wheaton’s academic and institutional objectives. This person will be Wheaton College’s senior administrator for information technology. The CIO is responsible for selecting and supporting all academic and administrative information technology (IT) system operations, data centers, process improvement, business intelligence and report writing, help desk services, communication networks (voice and data), systems integration, enterprise systems management, IT security, as well as establishing technology standards and policy, and pursuing compliance. In addition to these responsibilities, the CIO coordinates the alignment of IT strategy with academic priorities and business objectives by evaluating the overall information technology operations and project portfolio through business metrics. This position reports directly to VP for Finance and Operations and directly and indirectly supervises a team of over 40 people. Duties and Responsibilities
Represents Wheaton College to other bodies and organizations as requested by the President, including:Engages regional and national college and university organizations, including the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) and the Consortium of Liberal Arts Colleges (CLAC).Represents Wheaton College in national IT meetings/conferences and higher education IT organizations, such as EDUCAUSE.Provides vision, leadership, and innovation in developing College-wide strategies for leveraging the potential of technology in advancing Wheaton’s academic and institutional objectives.Leads the strategic planning, development and administration of IT programs and policies in alignment with overall College strategies, priorities, and initiatives.Provides vision and leadership to the College’s commitment to cooperative service delivery across campus and to external stakeholders.Oversees, manages, and leads Wheaton College technology infrastructure, including networks, data centers, security, and all shared enterprise applications, both administrative and academic.
- Directly manages a technology annual budget of $8 million. Annual College-wide IT expenditures of $10.5 million.
- Interface with key clientele including academic departments and faculty members, students, the President, Provost and Division Vice Presidents, key campus administrative offices and management staff (including: Accounting, Admissions, Advancement, Facilities, Financial Aid, Human Resources, Library) and external customers.
- Serves as an ad hoc advisor to the President’s Senior Administrative Cabinet (SAC).
- Designs and executes IT strategy in support of the College’s strategic priorities.
- Engages in cooperative planning with the Board of Trustees, including the Trustee Advisory panel on Information Technology
- Leads campus IT staff in supporting the College’s technology and service needs.
- Develops College IT and Campus Services policies, guidelines, procedures, and standards.
- Develops and leads the College’s IT governance structure – [email protected]
This job description is intended to represent key areas of responsibilities; specific assignments may vary from time to time, and other duties may be assigned. Qualifications
- Partners with faculty to develop and support technologies that enhance teaching, learning, and scholarship within the College.
- Serves as Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the Wheaton College Trust Company.
- A full understanding and personal support for Wheaton College’s mission and statement of faith, along with a personal investment in supporting and abiding by Wheaton College’s Community Covenant.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, innovatively and collaboratively with faculty, senior administrators, Trustees, and College-wide staff.
- Master’s degree in a related field is preferable.
- At least 10 years senior-level management experience in the field of information technology.
- Experience in higher education administration and associated IT leadership, innovation, and management preferred.
- Ability to identify, articulate, and achieve opportunities for innovation. Experience leading, communicating and executing mid-scale technology and organizational change agendas. Ability to tactfully and persuasively collaborate with internal constituencies and leaders, and partner productively with outside stakeholders, interested parties, and service providers/vendors.
- Able to recruit, develop, motivate and manage professional staff and hold staff accountable for accurate, timely results, and exceptional customer service. Experience setting a tone and expectation of excellence, continual improvement, and strong customer service to the campus and to external parties.
- Evidence of excellent writing, speaking, interpersonal and intercultural communication skills.
- Innovative, nimble, creative thinker who is comfortable executing in spite of ambiguity.
The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear; frequently required to use repetitive hand motion, handle or feel, and to stand, walk, reach, bend or lift up to 10 pounds. FLSA Status –
Exempt As a Christ-centered community, Wheaton College faculty and staff must affirm the College’s Statement of Faith as expressing their own theological convictions and agree to live by the moral standards in Wheaton’s Community Covenant, modeling these commitments for the Christian formation of our students. Wheaton College faculty and staff also support the Christ-Centered Diversity Commitment which highlights our desire to treat all individuals as equal image-bearers of Jesus Christ through diversity, inclusion, justice and unity.